None standard Hoffman frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bee equipment ltd I contacted them and just got a reply asking how many were like that and they would replace them as they were first grade stock and not seconds

If they let you keep the faulty ones, then use them with the groove external as foundationless frames.

The points are largely a British peculiarity. We get our frames made without.

However some of the makers of made up frames see these points on UK frames and think they are doing us a good turn adding them. As these frames are generally ungrooved the teams making them up bash on and often dont realise that what to them is a mere detail is to the British system crucial....and you can get a LOT of them made the wrong way round...the points can be a bit random in the way they point.

Have had to reject lots of these in the past so can sympathise with Patrick on it...plainly he faces the same issue.

They ones done wrongly can still be fine for those using castellations so we punt them off cheap.

The points are largely a British peculiarity.

I have been wondering about that of late, in particular whether they actually achieve the aim of creating them, as opposed to people thinking they achieve the aim. After all, the sidebar still has two faces that the bees can propolise to the adjoining one. They're just in a different orientation.

I did notice when watching a video of someone making their own frames the other day that they didn't bother with the points.

James

I don't know what all the fuss is about anyway, I've used Hoffman frames with no points at all out in Africa - just flat surfaces both sides, a mixture of UK sourced and Chinese frames in the same box (so you have points meeting points, flat meeting flat and the 'normal' points meeting flat), it matters not a jot to the bees, doesn't affect productivity or bee health and is of no more inconvenience to the beekeeper whatever.
Just use them and get on with it.

I have been wondering about that of late, in particular whether they actually achieve the aim of creating them, as opposed to people thinking they achieve the aim. After all, the sidebar still has two faces that the bees can propolise to the adjoining one. They're just in a different orientation.

I did notice when watching a video of someone making their own frames the other day that they didn't bother with the points.

James

I think the points marginally reduce crushing. Probably.

Maybe there should be points on both sides!

I'll patent that idea and retire, methinks

I think the points marginally reduce crushing. Probably.

Maybe there should be points on both sides!

I'll patent that idea and retire, methinks

For me, the points improve visibility of the bees when pushing together and give the bees a bit more of a chance to get out of the way. Point to point would end up with the frames over-riding and slipping past each other.

I understood the purpose of the points to be a reduction in propolisable surface between the frames, making it easier to separate them. Flat to flat would work just as well, but would get more firmly stuck together. Point to point could result in frames being too close together if they're slightly offset.

Wrongly made brood frames I'd return, super frames I'd not worry so much because, as has already been said, you can castellate them.

I understood the purpose of the points to be a reduction in propolisable surface between the frames, making it easier to separate them. Flat to flat would work just as well, but would get more firmly stuck together. Point to point could result in frames being too close together if they're slightly offset.

Wrongly made brood frames I'd return, super frames I'd not worry so much because, as has already been said, you can castellate them.
I'm sure they work well or they wouldn't be used there. I've never seen them in use, except on photos on this forum, but they remind me of my anvil secateurs ;)

Hmmmm, I got some from another supplier and was surprised to find them packed in small boxes. Might have to check them today….

Hmmmm, I got some from another supplier and was surprised to find them packed in small boxes. Might have to check them today….
The Chinese frames are excellent quality - stronger topbars than our standards, just this issue we found with the side bars (and they had bought a whole container full to sell!!)

I was quite pleased to find the STBK, SN4 frames come in neat boxes and seem good quality. But on my last inspections, in honey supers where I had mixed the new frames with older ones, I noticed that many of them are reversed as discussed above. It's a bit of a pain because they have sharper points than some other makes, and when they are pushed together they do have a tendency to ride over each other.

Latest posts

Back