CBPV + DLW/DLQ

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mel_Merddyn

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
30+
I have a hive at an out apiary (on single national brood with supers) which was doing quite well. They started swarm preparations at the end of June so the queen was removed into a nuc and I left them to it. I reduced the queen cells down to 1or 2 on the next inspection a week later.
Hadn't bothered attempting to go in the brood box, just checking the supers for bees to see if they needed space.

Decided this morning that I should check for eggs and mated queen. The brood box seemed to have plenty of bees but they weren't really moving very much, quite a few had their wings stuck out at an angle and quite a few were shaking. Started pulling the frames, plenty of capped and uncapped stores but around 7 frames of drone brood in all stages. Couldn't see any worker brood. Couldn't see multiple eggs in cells so suspect DLQ. Couldn't see a queen. One frame had a single capped queen cell but as I was unsure if it was the old one I uncapped it and it had Royal Jelly and a larve. I'd say 60-70% of the bees on the frames were struggling either with wings out at an angle or shaking.

Not sure where to go with them now, they've had no worker brood since the end of June, 7 frames of drone brood which is just draining resources plus a bad case of what I think is CBPV.
I've added a frame of eggs from the hive next to them to see what they do. Assuming they make queen cells and I let them requeen, I'm looking at the virgin trying to mate in September, if she does mate she might not start laying until the end of September with brood emerging towards mid October. Can't see there being any bees left to look after the brood anyway unless I add capped brood from neighbouring hives.
I'm reluctant to merge a nuc with the hive because of the CBPV, same with buying a mated queen.

Not entirely sure what way to turn so thought I'd post on here. I've never seen CBPV like this assuming that's what it is. I've seen posts say to shake them out and the healthy bees return but I've got 7 frames of drone brood which I don't really want!
Sorry for rambling, have I missed anything obvious? What would you do?
TIA

Do not shake them out - pretty pointless and will not achieve anything (whatever you're trying to do.) as the healthy and sick bees will go back, or will spread it to other hives.
Personally, I think the colony is doomed.

That was my thought about shaking them out.
Assuming they raise another queen cell, do you think it worth adding capped brood from another hive so at least they'll have some bees to see them through to new queens brood emerging. Seems like a big risk of resource, I'm thinking just leave them to it.

Pity, they were the best performing with 4 full supers in that apiary. I'll go there Friday, see what they're doing and make a decision.

Any thoughts on using the super frames from this hive on other hives next year?

Any thoughts on using the super frames from this hive on other hives next year?
I spoke to Prof David Evans at length about this where I first encountered CBPV. His opinion was that there was no data on persistence of infection but on balance he wouldn't.

Went down there this morning and took a few videos. This one is the frame of BIAS I put in on Wednesday. They haven't drawn any queen cells on it. You can see that there are a few shaking and most of them are lethargic, almost like they're starving but there was plenty of stores in the brood box.

Couldn't find the queen again, went through the box twice so maybe laying workers. I took a few photos I'll post below.View attachment PXL_20210813_085349217.mp4

Last edited:
There are a few cells with a couple of eggs but I've seen this with new queens before now. PXL_20210813_085728431.jpgPXL_20210813_085749567.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back