New bee here

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emabe80

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi I'm new to bee keeping I've just brought 2 hives and full set up from thornes I have 2 nucs I'm going collect in April ive gone for the buckfast bee and the British black bee. Has anyone got any good advice for me I own 5 acre woodland so I know they will do well in there but any help any advice will be much appreciated thank you Emma

Welcome
Usual advice. Join a local beekeeping club so that you can get to meet fellow beekeepers to discuss problems and maybe get yourself a mentor. There is nothing better than having actual physical help to hand if you run into problems.Take advantage of any training sessions they organise.
Enjoy the forum where there is lots of good advice ......most of the time ;)

I own 5 acre woodland

They may do well if you have a clearing. Theres an old saying: "Bees in a wood don't do any good". The wood will provide a nice windbreak for the winter and possibly forage (depending on what trees there are) but try not to put them in the shade of a tree. If there are woodpeckers in/near your wood, you will need to take precautions over the winter months (13mm wire net around them)

Good Luck

Welcome...this is a great forum...the members are really friendly and helpful...and very patient with us new bee keepers!

Thanks the woodland as really good clearings we've put hard work in clearing there's oak sycamore ash beech hazel alder many trees its a ancient woodland I've already fenced an area where the hives are being placed plus I've used chicken mesh.they will be in good sun for morning warmth bit shelterd from the winds there's a wild meadow on the outer edge we run a smallholding in the wood we grow all our own veg fruit etc and have a orchard do I know all this will sure help the bees to establish. Thanks

Sounds great to me! All the best.

Apple, plum and raspberry crops have all improved on my place since my bees arrived plus the blackthorn in the hedges give a better yield of sloes if you're interested in sloe wine or sloe gin.
Beekeeping has a very steep learning curve but it's immensely satisfying to sit and watch by the hives as the bees come and go about their business. Be prepared for mishaps along the way but overall the good far outweigh the bad :)
Do join your local association and help will be forthcoming if you hit a rough patch.

:Welcome: Emma

Sounds like you are not far from me..

there's oak sycamore ash beech hazel alder many trees its a ancient woodland Thanks

Sycamore is good and accounts for most of any early honey I get. Hazel and alder can both be good for pollen but they tend to bloom while it's too cold for my bees; you may be luckier. Two years ago the Beeches in my garden produced much honeydew and were buzzing with bees for about two weeks in the summer; last year....nothing.
Blackthorn and Hawthorn are hit and miss; some years (last year) are good, others not.Oak and Ash do not sustain bees.
What I have done in my apiary which is in a clearing amongst trees is planted hundreds of crocuses in front of the hives and they certainly do well for early pollen from them. Willow, for the same reason, is a good tree to have and leave any Ivy alone, the colonies will fill their boots with nectar and pollen for the winter.

PS. If you have a long term plan then a few Tilia wouldn't go amiss.
T.cordata, the small leaved Lime, is an indicator of ancient woodland and is the species I would go for, not the large leaved which is planted in our parks and avenues. They are both good for nectar and sublime honey.

Last edited:
Any advice for you, I've 30 odd pages for you to read on how not to beekeep in my thread I'm about to bump. :icon_204-2::hairpull:

Good luck - best advice: Bees do not read the same books as you - so don't expect them to do what you expect...ever!! ;)

Welcome. Only advice I will give is join up with your local beekeeping association. Don't be afraid to ask for help at any stage. Best luck & enjoy.

How do you manage to type with your fingers crossed?

Well...I have found the forum a useful sounding board for ideas...many ideas....lots of advice.....thoughtful replies....
I think that if you read a lot.....research for yourself...ask questions...then I have found everyone very helpful.
NB. I only type with one finger...I was much too old to change by the time computers were invented....sometimes I am even able to use one finger from each hand.....multitasking!

I've already fenced an area where the hives are being placed plus I've used chicken mesh.

It sounds like you have it organised. I would have recommended goats to clear the site for you. They save a lot of work and will eat just about anything.
Woodpeckers can still get their beaks through ordinary chicken mesh which is why I suggested the 1/2" (13mm) mesh. They are really only interested in the bees over winter when ants/etc aren't available.

Good Luck

Hi thanks for the info I have a local beekeeper in the area for any much needed help but she hard to catch at home. If anybody in my area will be willing help with advice or show me a few pointers please contact me. I will be having goats but not for another month or 2 me and hubby only brought the woodland back in June and been doing a lot of work it was a mess untouched since the early 70s it date back to 1600 so there's been loads to do but going off the track yes I've got it sorted so far but just needed a little help with a few questions things like queen cells and what to do for the best anyway thank you for all the advice ����

hi Em, another woodland owner here, I have just over 7 acres of ancient broadleaf, mainly oaks & Hazel, I started keeping bees there last year, 3 out of 4 hives survived this winter and seem to be doing well,
drop me a pm if you fancy a chat

Hi EmaB,
Living the dream. I am hoping to soon as well. All the bee help you might need is on here and some more. Good luck for the season. See you around.

Welcome to the forum. I have found it very beneficial when advice is required, comical too and always buzzin............. Good luck.

Hi EmaB,
Living the dream. I am hoping to soon as well. All the bee help you might need is on here and some more. Good luck for the season. See you around.

The trick is to follow the beeks with real knowledge. Applying common sense and retaining a healthy dose of cynicism will enable you to decide who they are. Don't jump from "expert" to "expert", particularly blokes in the pub ;)

Latest posts

Back