Neopoll

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeb123

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Is anyone using neopoll at the mo as a pollen substitute and feed? my queen is obviously laying well as the days they can get out they're bringing copious pollen amounts back. The weather here does not look great for them be able to get out soon so don't want them be caught short on the rearing. Thoughts please as never used the stuff

Thanks

"my queen is obviously laying well as the days they can get out they're bringing copious pollen "

isn't it the other way around? - pollen leads to brooding not vice versa.

Depends on hive size.. each of mine about 5 frames bees they still have half Neopoll left, and I put it on originally as there has only been about 6 days when they have been flying out for more than water. Too wet, cold and windy.

I have masses of crocus and snowdrops etc, but weather hammered them and left many useless. They use what is still here when weather permits... cold and sleet forecast.

I put it on 3 of my hives to see the difference. It has made a fair amount, the ones with were much more active. Even though they had plently of stores. I gave a couple 2:1 sugar syrup to encourage the queen to lay. This seems to have gone down very well.

I put it on 3 of my hives to see the difference. It has made a fair amount, the ones with were much more active. Even though they had plently of stores. I gave a couple 2:1 sugar syrup to encourage the queen to lay. This seems to have gone down very well.

Should be max 1:1 or even better 1:2 syrup at this time of year if you want to build brood. 2:1 will just clog up the brood box as they will tend to store it not use it.

2 parts water, and 1 part sugar. They are extremely busy it looks more like summer here with the way they are at the moment, hence watery sugar to simulate a flow to get them going even more. I've only given them 1.5L of this and that's it for now.

If they have a supply of pollen, save your cash and leave them to it.

Unlike Roola and Beeno, I beg to differ.
I have Neopoll on a selection of my hives. I want them rape ready and no chance of running low on pollen if the weather is poor.
Cazza

2 parts water, and 1 part sugar. They are extremely busy it looks more like summer here with the way they are at the moment, hence watery sugar to simulate a flow to get them going even more. I've only given them 1.5L of this and that's it for now.

Sean I have been holding off putting on neopol until it gets warmer as I thought that if it gets cold having brood would be counter productive in building the colony. I am fairly close to Chester and it has been cold the last few days and rainy prior to that - my colony hasn't started flying.

I'm new to this so just want to know (as you are in my local weather area) whether there is any downside adding it now.

Thanks

Sean I have been holding off putting on neopol until it gets warmer as I thought that if it gets cold having brood would be counter productive in building the colony. I am fairly close to Chester and it has been cold the last few days and rainy prior to that - my colony hasn't started flying.

I'm new to this so just want to know (as you are in my local weather area) whether there is any downside adding it now.

Thanks

be aware that although the media will be hinting at things warming up over the next week or so, unsettled conditions are more likely in the north... there is going to be a bit of a north south split.

Back