Need to move 3 hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lolly Bee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I need to move 3 hives from a place that has become horribly soggy and damp, causing mould build up in the roofs along with an interesting array of slugs, spiders and wood lice. Could anyone give me some advice on (when I move them) how far they should be from any other apiary. I have spoken to someone but there is an apiary nearby and I don't want to be either a disease spreader or gatherer. I only need to move them over winter to somewhere that is more than 3 miles away then come spring I can bring them closer to my home (which is only 1/2 mile from the current location) and have permission from the farmer to keep them there. Hoping this makes sense! And in advance thank you for advice.

Last edited:
I need to move 3 hives from a place that has become horribly soggy and damp, causing mould build up in the roofs along with an interesting array of slugs, spiders and wood lice. Could anyone give me some advice on (when I move them) how far they should be from any other apiary. I have spoken to someone but there is an apiary nearby and I don't want to be either a disease spreader or gatherer. I only need to move them over winter to somewhere that is more than 3 miles away then come spring I can bring them closer to my home (which is only 1/2 mile from the current location) and have permission from the farmer to keep them there. Hoping this makes sense! And in advance thank you for advice.
Have patience. Wait until they go quiet for the winter and pick a few consecutive cold/wet non flying days. Then just move to their new spring location. Leave an empty box/nuc to mop up any stray returners. There are plenty of posts about moving colonies in the forum files if you use the search function.

I only need to move them over winter to somewhere that is more than 3 miles away then come spring I can bring them closer to my home
no, midwinter it's fine to move them less than three miles, wait for a cold snap, but not absolutely freezing (because if they are in a tight cluster and some fall off the cluster, they are too torpid to return) and after a few days, move them, just don't bump them about too much.

no, midwinter it's fine to move them less than three miles, wait for a cold snap, but not absolutely freezing (because if they are in a tight cluster and some fall off the cluster, they are too torpid to return) and after a few days, move them, just don't bump them about too much.
Thanks very much to you both. Goodness it is helpful to ask questions!
Have patience. Wait until they go quiet for the winter and pick a few consecutive cold/wet non flying days. Then just move to their new spring location. Leave an empty box/nuc to mop up any stray returners. There are plenty of posts about moving colonies in the forum files if you use the search function.
Thank you. Very helpful and informative. 👍 Have a good weekend!

Latest posts

Back