NBU/FERA starvation warning

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isc26

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
With the continued mild weather persisting past winter, it is possible that some colonies may be getting low on food reserves. This will be particularly true in warmer areas of the UK where brood may have been reared throughout the winter. If you have not already done so, now is the time to go out and inspect your colonies. Below are a couple of pointers to consider.

• Information received from Regional Bee Inspectors suggests that in some areas, especially in the East of England; colonies in many apiaries are starting to become light.

• Stronger colonies have been rearing small amounts of brood throughout the mild winter, and currently many have at least 2-3 combs of sealed brood and one comb of open brood. With the current forecast suggesting a fairly settled period throughout the rest of the week, now would be a good time to get out to the apiary and see what levels of food your colonies have. Should the weather continue to stay mild and warm, a liquid sugar feed can be used in small quantities, not to overload them; a spring sugar solution of 1kg of sugar to 1300ml of warm water. However should the weather turn cold again, fondant should be switched when the bees stop taking the syrup down.

• Some colonies have had the opportunity to forage on ivy last autumn and so may be heavy, and the bees may be sitting on a lot of hard ivy honey. It is possible that with the milder weather they have been able to get out and gather water – but worth considering when thinking about how much food colonies have and whether they can access it.

• It is possible that over the winter, Varroa may have continued to breed, it is therefore important to monitor the natural drop of the mite. In extreme cases it may be necessary to think about a spring treatment to bring numbers down, particularly where no treatments have been used since late last summer.

With all the admonishments on here not to open hives, and to leave well alone, it is timely advice I would think.

Most of mine have got fresh nectar in from somewhere!!?

Anyway I personally believe a quick check was well worth it.

With all the admonishments on here not to open hives, and to leave well alone, it is timely advice I would think.
It tells you to check stores level not rip the hive open - hefting the hive will do well and before we start twittering on about judging the weight it doesn't take too much experience to differentiate between heavy, a bit light and very light.

This is an automatically generated message that gets churned out every year at around this time - the next one will be the 'June gap'

I dont recall any advice against hefting.

• Some colonies have had the opportunity to forage on ivy last autumn and so may be heavy, and the bees may be sitting on a lot of hard ivy honey. It is possible that with the milder weather they have been able to get out and gather water – but worth considering when thinking about how much food colonies have and whether they can access it.

But hefting wouldn't tell you something like this though would it? It's ok for the bees to source water outside of the hives now whilst it's mild...... but if the weather turns?

I chose a warm sunny day last week and had a brief look at the store situation in all my hives and I'm glad I did too. :)

There does seem to be a bit of a split forum camp over this and I guess everyone just needs to consider their own individual circumstances before deciding when is right to open up their own hives.

Just about everyone I would think .....

:iagree:
If I interpreted correctly, my advice would be to stick to soft drugs or none at all, the hard stuff seems to make your message garbled.

Well, anyway I can categorically state that I shall not be looking in to my hives until the beginning of May[/QUOTE]

iff i left mine till the begining of may a few would of swarmed im sure i have some nearly full of bees now and 3-5 frames of sealed brood:winner1st:

I agree. A colleague of mine hefted hives, felt they were of sufficient weight, but when he peeked in, found a starved colony surrounded by pollen.

I have "inspected" mine - a queek in the brood nest when the bees were flying strongly last weekend, blissful weather and blissful bees. I'm the passing brown bear that didn't get seen off...

Why would you leave the bees until May before looking? Surely beekeeping should work around the weather and the bees rather than the calendar. The calendar is there as a guide not a fixed set of rules.

If the bees are busy and expanding early with the good weather then we should be starting early as well. Agree you still need to be careful if weather turns cold again but think as the bees have now started nothing much is going to stop them.

I agree. A colleague of mine hefted hives, felt they were of sufficient weight, but when he peeked in, found a starved colony surrounded by pollen.

I have "inspected" mine - a queek in the brood nest when the bees were flying strongly last weekend, blissful weather and blissful bees. I'm the passing brown bear that didn't get seen off...

Hefted?

Starved?

Pollen?

Give me strength.

Chris

Why would you leave the bees until May before looking? Surely beekeeping should work around the weather and the bees rather than the calendar. The calendar is there as a guide not a fixed set of rules.

If the bees are busy and expanding early with the good weather then we should be starting early as well. Agree you still need to be careful if weather turns cold again but think as the bees have now started nothing much is going to stop them.

I think JBM will struggle to check his hives from Africa! :blush5:

Well, with two late supercedures and a small complement of winter bees last autumn I am very happy to be Q+ with good laying patterns on all colonies and nuc. I could not have achieved that from hefting, hive entrance or varroa board this season!

Latest posts

Back