NBU/FERA starvation warning

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bees as a species rely on some of their number being killed off regularly. It's how they adapt to their local conditions. They are not relying on intelligence, simply nature rewarding the optimum behaviour and punishing the extremes.

Actually ... I think they have more brain power, perception, powers of sense, collective reasoning and ability to adapt than most humans ...

Brain power? Erm, nope. We are talking pinhead here.
Reasoning? Big nope.
Perception? Nope.
Ability to adapt - it's called evolution.

Susbees, I take your point. Perhaps on an absolute scale bees do not score very highly, but the OP was comparing them to most humans...

:)

It tells you to check stores level not rip the hive open - hefting the hive will do well and before we start twittering on about judging the weight it doesn't take too much experience to differentiate between heavy, a bit light and very light.

This is an automatically generated message that gets churned out every year at around this time - the next one will be the 'June gap'
re=hefting did that when they came in oct one was ok one was very light did them last sat the light one now had a good heavy feel to it and to day they are out in there 100's

Reasoning? Big nope.
Perception? Nope.

You have not met with some of the people I have to work with, have you?
:banghead:

I'd decided to open mine up before receiving the FERA advice, which only reinforced my perceived need.

As it turns out all was well, no obvious harm was done by the inspection, and I learnt they were bringing in pollen and nectar as well as laying well. Very glad I did, and don't understand why some would want to delay it any longer given the summery weather that has been in many parts of the country :sunning:.

I don't intend to start weekly inspections yet, but I'm reassured that they are getting on well and don't at present need any more meddling from me.

Well, anyway I can categorically state that I shall not be looking in to my hives until the beginning of May

iff i left mine till the begining of may a few would of swarmed im sure i have some nearly full of bees now and 3-5 frames of sealed brood:winner1st:[/QUOTE]

I agree. May is too late for a lot of beekeepers

Better check in on him, your side of the political spectrum have been dropping like flies this week!:angelsad2:
what side of the spectrum would that be?
sadly lacking sky news or ITV news at ten on the local drums here in downtown Pitseng

Bees as a species rely on some of their number being killed off regularly. It's how they adapt to their local conditions. They are not relying on intelligence, simply nature rewarding the optimum behaviour and punishing the extremes.

I would say some of the decisions they make as individual colonies in order to survive display a remarkable degree of intelligence.

Reasoning? Big nope.
Perception? Nope.

60,000 pinheads operating together, arguably with a far greater processing power than the sum of the parts. A super organism.
The really clever bit is that they've survived virtually unchanged for 50 million years, having shaped their environment to support them (and a wealth of other flora and fauna) from relatively primitive beginnings, I dont see humans managing a fraction of a blink of that success.

I would say some of the decisions they make as individual colonies in order to survive display a remarkable degree of intelligence.

60,000 pinheads operating together, arguably with a far greater processing power than the sum of the parts. A super organism.
The really clever bit is that they've survived virtually unchanged for 50 million years, having shaped their environment to support them (and a wealth of other flora and fauna) from relatively primitive beginnings, I dont see humans managing a fraction of a blink of that success.

:iagree:
as Tom Seeley says studying the way a colony of bees (and especially a swarm) behaves is the closest we'll get to seeing how the human brain works.

All this starvation...

good job we have free food banks..

Good job they dont claim child benefit.

.....or let drones hang around for the winter

Latest posts

Back