National NUC to Top-Bar Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyPicklechin

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 odd
There is a new beek recruit in my town (who may join on here quite soon.) Im going to furnish him with a 6 frame NUC with a mated blue queen. My new friend is quite keen on a top bar hive set up, something I know nothing about.

Whats the most elegant way of getting my NUC over to his system? We were thinking for him to keep my NUC in the location for a couple of weeks and get the bees acclimated to his location. But then I thought it best to get them going ASAP building comb ASAP.

Probably not the most common query but would love to hear thoughts...

PS I hope answers will avoid negative comments about his choice of use of the TB system!

I have done this, as have others - see the top bar section of the different hive types sub-forum on here - but 'elegant' it was not. You already have the nuc ready? And it's perhaps a financial proposition? I ask as moving a swarm in would be an awful lot easier!

A lady had a nuc off me to go in her TBH, it was a case of butchering the frames and combs so they would fit.
Far easier with a swarm or package … or a TBH made with this problem in mind.

Look up "chop and crop" on any TBH site. Find and isolate queen. I cut the ends off the national top bar, to a bit less than the internal dimension of the TBH, using a hedge lopper, then trim the comb to the shape of the follower board from the TBH, then screw or cable tie the national top bar to the TBH top bar. Not elegant and messy but the quickest way to get them in there.

An elegant solution does not spring to mind. If he hasn't already made or bought his TBH, persuade/suggest he goes horizontal with the standard frames size. Simple enough to make. might be simpler to make than a TBH which has all manner of embellishments.

There is a new beek recruit in my town (who may join on here quite soon.) Im going to furnish him with a 6 frame NUC with a mated blue queen. My new friend is quite keen on a top bar hive set up, something I know nothing about.

Whats the most elegant way of getting my NUC over to his system? We were thinking for him to keep my NUC in the location for a couple of weeks and get the bees acclimated to his location. But then I thought it best to get them going ASAP building comb ASAP.

Probably not the most common query but would love to hear thoughts...

PS I hope answers will avoid negative comments about his choice of use of the TB system!

Keep the brood and make her a package

Keep the brood and make her a package

YES ... That's what I would do ..find the queen, put her safe in a cage so you don't damage her then shake them into an empty box on the site of your Nuc. Remove the Nuc and it's frames .. donate brood to other hives ...put the queen in her cage in the box, leave them until evening when all the bees will be in the box, close them up and take them to where they are going to be installed in the TBH.

Place on top of the TBH, open the entrance so they don't suffocate, following morning place queen in cage in TBH, tip your package into the TBH, leave the queen in the cage until they have settled down then let her out.

Personally .. I'd pursuade the Newbie that a Long Deep Hive with either standard frames or preferable 14 x 12 is going to be much easier for a new beekeeper to get their head around ...unless they just want to have a hive of bees in the garden and do nothing with them ..in which case, I'd decline to give/sell them any bees.

Hi Folks, Thanks again Jon for introducing me. Many replies to take onboard already. It’s my first day, hope to make a good stear of this. No radical or inelegant plans for the nuc. Many thanks to all responders. Will work through These ideas and talk through plans with Jon. Cheers.

I've done a chop and crop in to both a Kenyan TBH and a Warre.
As people have said, it is not easy, very messy and takes time and preparation.
However, it could mean that you would lose little or no brood.
If you are not dead set on any particular type, then a Long Deep, might be the way to go so that you can just transfer the frames.
You can replace the frames at a later date and could still go foudationless later if you wanted.

Personally .. I'd pursuade the Newbie that a Long Deep Hive with either standard frames or preferable 14 x 12 is going to be much easier for a new beekeeper to get their head around ...unless they just want to have a hive of bees in the garden and do nothing with them ..in which case, I'd decline to give/sell them any bees.

I agree with Philip, long hives give the convenience of frame inspection with TBH experience and if you search you will find pictures of Pargyle's lovely looking set up on this site.
I recently set one up based on standard deep frames with the option of placing supers above the elongated brood box.

Attachments

• IMG_9999.jpg
    IMG_9999.jpg
    649.9 KB · Views: 27
6 Frame Nuc to TBH.

That’s where I’m at today. Phil Chandler had a method using
An Elongated deep hive converting national frame to top bars.
Thanks all.

Latest posts

Back