National Bee Unit and Asian Hornets

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nose Ma

House Bee
Reaction score
Worcs/West Midlands/South Staffs border(!)
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am sure many of you will have received this, but just in case it may be worth a read. Text from NBU as follows (link as bitly at the bottom):

April 2012 - Response Plan for Dealing with the Asian Hornet Produced

Developed by the Food and Environment Research Agency (Bee Health Policy and the NBU), in consultation with Defra (Non Native Species Policy, and its Non Native Species Secretariat), the Response Plan was finalised in April 2012.

Its objectives are: Early detection, interception and prevention of establishment, nest destruction to eradicate localised outbreaks (if within a limited geographical area or areas), development of longer term management plans where eradication is no longer possible due to the extent and number of outbreaks, provision of advice to beekeepers and all other stakeholders.
Please visit the Asian hornet pages on BeeBase (see below) to read updated guidance for beekeepers, including information on early monitoring and trap design. You can also access the full Response Plan through these pages.

Kind regards,
National Bee Unit.

LINK TO BEE BASE - http://bit.ly/HERC32

Already started - queen asian hornet trying to set up home in our loft - dealt with ! :) (Terminally)

Last edited:
Already started - queen asian hornet trying to set up home in our loft - dealt with ! :) (Terminally)

Wow! I've not seen any yet...
...must admit I haven't visited the loft recently :eek:

RBI was at our BKA meeting last night and he is under the impression that the asian hornet will be in the UK by the end of next year.

There have been some unconfirmed reports of one or two seen in kent last year but as there were no actual dead ones they wernt confirmed.

I have set up traps in my apiarys but really hope i dont catch any.

Lets hope that its later rather than sooner that they arrive.

I'm right on the coast near a port so I've got traps up and ready. Nothing caught as yet thank goodness.

queen asian hornet trying to set up home in our loft

I suspect overwintering, no evidence yet that I know about of them building inside houses.. it would be good news if they did though rather than at the top of high trees. Hornets nests in houses are easy to deal with.

Only one AH Queen seen and despatched here this spring, mind you it's a bit cold and crap.

Chris

The AH queen builds a primary nest in a sheltered spot - I have found one tucked up under the eaves and one in a bird nesting box - She rears workers until they can support her. They then all move and make the main nest which as Chris L says is usually 20 to 25m up a tree and virtually invisible until leaf fall by which time the damage has been done. Well done Chris 58 another one bites the dust.

Latest posts

Back