Nagging feeling

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margob99

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
You know that nagging feeling you get when you see clues, something that might indicate early-on that perhaps your hive has gone Q- or is not Q-right in some way? Well ...

I did a full inspection yesterday. In the 3 weeks prior to this, I have only entered the hive to remove 2 frames from the super and replace with new foundation filled frame. Also, 4 days ago, I slipped a varroa board in under the hive.

Note: a small percentage of bees have, over the 10 weeks since I got them as a 6-frame nuc, tended to collect under the OMF, where they seem to pass stuff through the mesh. I've sealed off the base of the hive with partitions to reduce their numbers, then gently swept the remainder off in order to place the varroa board in without killing/trapping too many in there.

Sunday: full inspection of 1 honey super, brood-and-a-half national box. What I saw makes me uneasy, as if things are slipping out of my control a bit; I am seeing clues but cannot interpret or make a correct deduction about what might be going wrong with the hive. Can you help?

Here are my observations:

1. There are bees everywhere. Thousands and thousands of 'em. They are literally boiling up and over and around everywhere. If it wasn't for the observations listed below, I would be concerned they'd run out of space.

2. Laying pattern: very intermittent. Some frames appear honey- and pollen-overloaded with no space to lay. Other frames appear empty, newly-born bees have clearly recently emerged. There are probably only 3 or 4 frames on which the capped worker brood pattern looks good and solid and steady, while the rest of the frames show intermittent patches of capped drone brood, along with some 4-day larvae, but no 1-3 day eggs showing anywhere in the hive.

3. Temper: these have been exceptionally docile bees. This time around they were - well, not grumpy, but certainly loud, pingy and hovering. Can't put it any other way.

I am worried that somehow, in putting the Varroa board in 4 days ago, I have somehow disrupted the Queen's laying pattern.

Or am I worrying too much? Is she starting to slow down on laying, given there are such a high quantity of adult worker bees present?

Or am I just a newbie, a bit intimidated by the sight of a large, fully-present, end-of-summer hive in action!?

PS: never been a sign of making QC, but this time around - 3 empty play cups noted.

Last edited:
What I saw makes me uneasy, as if things are slipping out of my control a bit; I am seeing clues but cannot interpret or make a correct deduction about what might be going wrong with the hive.

I'm afraid as a newbee I can't offer any worthwhile advice but I know the feeling you describe really well (get it at most inspections!)

The forum is a great resource and I'm sure you'll shortly get some helpful posts from those who know.

The lack of eggs is a bit of a concern. I would suggest a test frame of eggs borrowed from another hive or friendly neighbour. If the bees build emergency queen cells you have no queen, if they don't then you may or may not have a queen.
Seems unlikley but could you of somehow trapped the queen when inserting the varroa board?

I would suggest you just step back and let them sort themselves out. Patience is a virtue. The voroa board won't be causing the problems.......they will be fine".....probably!

I agree that worrying is normal and probably there is no reason. Got a bee buddy who can have a look?

Did you look for your queen when you did the inspection? If not suggest trying to look and if no sign of her then as Oscarmonster said put in a test frame. They sound a bit tetchy which could be due to lack on queen.

Also what sort of flow have you got on at the moment? I know my bees at work have slowed down on the foraging immensely but my bees at home have found some forage somewhere and were working hell for leather at the weekend! You could have a hive full of bored bees if there is a lack of forage around your way?

I am sure others will be along soon with more helpful advice x

Rice grain size eggs spotted this last weekend. Phew! I love my bees :hurray:

what a relief! just keep an eye on the seal/cap pattern of these eggs

Lol, you lot, you know wot I meant!
:cool:

Latest posts

Back