My Foundationless frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onge

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
9 Medium Poly, mostly foundation-less. Some run as Warre TBH
Hi all

Just thought I would show you my progress so far with foundationless frames in 3 of my hives.

Looking good so far.

This is 2 weeks after putting in.

Do you have foundationless frames on your deeps as well?

What will you do when it comes to extracting the honey?

Did you smear some wax on the top bars to help them get started?

And, assuming that's a super frame in the pic, are they on brood and a half? Or do you only use supers throughout your hives?

Yes a good job we tend to forget that the bees are rather good at comb building the foundation is supposed to keep it all very straight but on the small frames no great problem.

I have experimented with 60% just wired frames in a 14x12 hive this year and the other frames foundation, and the frames are all perfectly straight but will expect in the future to get a problem or two as I move towards 100% just wired frames.

The bees had no problem with the frames and drew out the wired and foundation frames at an equal pace if anything the wired frames faster as there are more of them in the hive.

One observation I made was that on the wired frames the bees had drawn out the frames and stopped short of the side bars and bottom bar apart from the odd bit of brace comb so the wire is very important especially on the 14x12 frame, they may in time fill in this gaps and time will tell but it will give them a more of a natural movement around the comb.

Onge did you make the frames or did you buy them just as wired frames as I see no grove on the side bar.

Its interesting to note how much of the frame area they have filled, as opposed to the usual shape they produce in the wild.

They will build comb without a starter strip but it varies in how straight it is.

I found easiest way to put starter strip on was to cut either cut a slot nearly all the way along the top bar, use a screwdriver to open the slot up, insert the strip and then nip the open end together with a small screw. Another way is to use two smaller bit of wood to make the top bar with the starter strip between them and them screw together...

When the natural comb is empty its amazing how light it is....

Did you smear some wax on the top bars to help them get started?

And, assuming that's a super frame in the pic, are they on brood and a half? Or do you only use supers throughout your hives?

Yes I painted wax on the craft style lolly sticks glued into the top groove.

I run the same size frame throughout my hives.

These are medium Langstroth frames, roughly the same area as National but only 10 of them.

Oh and they are Swienty poly.

Someone has put some thought into the kit and methods they are using.

Are you simply going to cut the combs out to harvest honey? And then what, mash it all up and melt, or cut comb? Or you going to let the bees keep the honey they make?

I intend to try gently extracting the ones that are attached at 3 points or more to the frames.

Some cut comb where appropriate.

Crush and strain if it all goes pear shaped.

Yes I will leave a box of brood and box of honey for them to over winter on. maybe more if there very big.

Most are already on 4 boxes. (I am introducing boxes to the middle of the brood nest and there drawing them fast. Will add a box or 2 at top latter in the year)

Onge, I went foundationless in my supers last year and extracted them fine. The only breakage ironically was a wired frame. I did have to turn mine twice before I started to wind up a bit faster though (manual extractor)

Latest posts

Back