My First Inspection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
8 must stop now.....
I had my first bees arrive as a swarm into a hive I'd set up as a bait hive in my garden on the 28th May. Just as I was in about to leave for a few days away at work. ( I was late for work as so amazed watching them arrive). Before I left I filled the void inside with frames, well almost, as I hadn't mounted all the foundation so had a couple of gaps, as it was all too floppy in the heat to get it in the frame.
On returning , pleased that they had hung around, I put that right, taking out the brace comb they had built cross ways in the gaps.
Fed them and and did a varroa treatment while they were brood less. There was an insignificant drop on the board, but happy with the reason for doing it then.
I'm away in a week for a few days again, so last night I did my first inspection. And I'm really pleased it went so well. Got my head around what I wanted to see, and do. Sorted out smoker and kit before I started. They'd totally finished all their syrup, and as they've drawn 6 out of 10 frames either entirely out partially I put another pint each side of the feeder in.
There was lots of nectar and pollen in the outside frames, and eggs, larvae, and a nice patch of sealed brood on 3 sides of frames, with some capped stores too. They all looked healthy, as did the brood, I didn't see the Queen, but to be honest, I was very conscious of not spending too much time looking for her, and she was obviously there in the last day.
The bees were surprisingly calm, with an absolute amateur, going through them, with the exception of a single bee , that came away with me for a few minutes, and looked like it could single handedly take on the world.

So far I've only watched a couple of inspections at the club apiary, so this is my first real hands on stuff.
And I'm pretty sure I couldn't have done it without the help I've got from here, reading others advice, reading through long threads, and also watching a couple of the highly recommended you tube channels.
So happy it went well, and that all appeared well inside. Although I'm sure I'll have a roller coaster ride .
Thank you all.

Well done👍
It sounds like the roller coaster is just about to pitch over that first apex.....😀

Make the most of these first few inspections. The comb is clean and white and straight, the bees are gentle. Everything is where it is supposed to be, well done.

Latest posts

Back