my first inspection in 1 hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishguy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 over wintered nucs
Seeing as ive reading alot about some entering their hives, feeding and with the good weather and one hive busier than i was waiting untill the wknd untill i was doing my first inspection on each hive. Got phone call this morning that my ghirls grandfather took stroke so off on a 200mile trip to see him so had to have an inspection today rather than leave it because i could be away for a week.

Anyway, opened this busy hive, first frame from back had stores(see pics), lifted out and placed to the side thou few squashed bees because when taking out frame, it was stuck to next and wax squashed them :(.

Next i lifted the 8th frame from front wall, theres brood, eggs and larve so put it back quick. Didnt lift the frames out beside them but moved on to the 3rd from front wall and full of eggs, larve but no capped brood.

When putting crown board on thou, it was full of comb and on frames, seeing as there was lots of bees on top, i didnt want to squash them so at the time, all i could think off was puff some smoke over them to get them to move. I know i can scrap off the comb, but didnt want to keep hive opened any longer. Closed up, put insulation back on. One thing i just realized just now after looking at pics, i forgot to take the super away that was underneath. Will this be ok for another 2 weeks or should i remove it before i set off in the morning.

Sorry, here's the pics.

IMG_20150406_195743.jpg

IMG_20150406_195612.jpg

IMG_20150406_195648.jpg

IMG_20150406_195808.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations on opening your hive. I too opened mine for first time adding a couple of frames to the brood box, all looked good although not sure what I am looking for! Sounds like you did well

Vivienne

One thing i just realized just now after looking at pics, i forgot to take the super away that was underneath. Will this be ok for another 2 weeks or should i remove it before i set off in the morning.

Leave it where it is, until you're absolutely sure they need it at the top. Leave them with the brood box at the top where it's warmest. It's still getting very cold at night, and they'll have arranged things the way they want.

As it stands they've room if they want, or need, to use it.

A suggestion - there's no need to use a brush unless you want the frames absolutely clean of bees, and it's easier and quicker to shake them off. If you want to move them out of the way so you can see an area of comb just put the back of your hand close to the bees and they'll move out of the way.

Looks like a good hive of bees and sounds like they are building up nicely.

When there is one spot on a frame I want to look at, I gently blow on it. Some bees will get annoyed and jump up at you but most will just get out of he way.

Leave it where it is, until you're absolutely sure they need it at the top. Leave them with the brood box at the top where it's warmest. It's still getting very cold at night, and they'll have arranged things the way they want.

As it stands they've room if they want, or need, to use it.

A suggestion - there's no need to use a brush unless you want the frames absolutely clean of bees, and it's easier and quicker to shake them off. If you want to move them out of the way so you can see an area of comb just put the back of your hand close to the bees and they'll move out of the way.

Forgot all about shaking bees of untill see it on clip of someone doing their first inspection and also you mentioning it. Will do in future.

You mention about being absolutely knowing when bees need the extra super, i was told by a few beeks that when you see bees on last frame or even on 2nd last frame, its time to super. If thats the case, then going by my pics, im ready for it but sitting here wondering if i should give it. Its like, if i give it now it might create problems but if i dont give it then it might make them swarm. Have been reading online about supering and quite alot say better to super early than super late but still scratching my head about what to do. One beek even suggested i super and feed because this will help the bees draw out the wax for filling when the flow starts soon. Again, sitting here thinking should i do this method aswell.

Last edited:
At least the hive is not full. In that case I would take Super off. Then I would take extra food off. Only 2 frames of food in boath wall sides. The rest of frames so that hives has space to lay and store nectar and pollen.

No idea to store old honey in the hive, when bees need expansion space.

One beek even suggested i super and feed because this will help the bees draw out the wax for filling when the flow starts soon. Again, sitting here thinking should i do this method aswell.

So mad idea.
No sense at all.

Forgot all about shaking bees of untill see it on clip of someone doing their first inspection and also you mentioning it. Will do in future.

You mention about being absolutely knowing when bees need the extra super, i was told by a few beeks that when you see bees on last frame or even on 2nd last frame, its time to super. If thats the case, then going by my pics, im ready for it but sitting here wondering if i should give it. Its like, if i give it now it might create problems but if i dont give it then it might make them swarm. Have been reading online about supering and quite alot say better to super early than super late but still scratching my head about what to do. One beek even suggested i super and feed because this will help the bees draw out the wax for filling when the flow starts soon. Again, sitting here thinking should i do this method aswell.

As Finman says, 'mad'. Think...You put super on and THEN feed. The bees may put feed (sugar syrup) into the super. Do you want sugar syrup mixed with honey, even if they could cope with the extra room so early? :hairpull:

Last edited:
At least the hive is not full. In that case I would take Super off. Then I would take extra food off. Only 2 frames of food in boath wall sides. The rest of frames so that hives has space to lay and store nectar and pollen.

No idea to store old honey in the hive, when bees need expansion space.

So your saying i should only have 2 frames of capped honey , 1 in back wall and other at the front wall and add some drawn frames(or just frame with foundation) inplace of other frames with capped honey in them and this will give the q more place to lay in.

Check one of your books rather than looking here, there, and everywhere until you find an answer you want to copy. You need to know how many frames of brood a colony should have before they need a super. One or two bees, or even a hundred, wandering on an outside frame is not an indication that they need more space ;) How do you think they put the stores on the outer frames!

Your bees already have the option to use brood and a half, but they are still only occupying the upper box. You are in Ireland, where I believe it can often be damp and cold, and we have yet to reach a time when warm days and nights are guaranteed. The last thing your bees need now is more space to heat, and more comb to make. When the time is right - when the colony has sufficient frames of brood - you can quickly transfer the nadired super to the top, and hope it isn't stuffed full of syrup!

Back