Moving supers with bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOBY-3652

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
hi I have got a hive that I want to move and there is 4 supers on it, they are full of bees. The question is could I take 2 of the supers away and place them on another hive with bees in them using the newspaper method???? so in thery have 2 hives with 2 supers on each..

You could but as they left the new hive they would probably fly back to the old one!
If you are moving one hive more than three miles then move the bottom two box's one day and the other two the following day. I think you need to explain if you are moving all your hives and how far you are moving them!
E

sorry I am going to move them about 5 miles.. the largest one wont fit in my van and the other one I was going to give it some more bees so I would probably lift 2 supers off and place them on the other hive then take the donated hive away.. the reason I asked the question was I wondered.. would they have a scrap??

Last edited:
I would not combine them until you get to the other end! I would move them in three sets, bb and super, bb, and 2 supers.
Put paper under the crown board on the bb hive before you move it. When you get to the other end put the two supers on the paper having moved the crown board.
Hope that makes sense!
E

hi I have got a hive that I want to move and there is 4 supers on it, they are full of bees. The question is could I take 2 of the supers away and place them on another hive with bees in them using the newspaper method???? so in thery have 2 hives with 2 supers on each..

A hive with 4 supers is a good honey gathering unit. 2 supers is too small.

To take 2 supers' bees off is like a swarm has left. Propably hive looses its foraging power and consumes the honey to brood feeding. It takes at least a month that the hive gets it foraging power back.

I never weaken good hives when I want yield.
When I have weak hives like 2 box, I join them 2 plus 2

When I want weak hives to build up, then I support them with emerging brood frames.

Last edited:
all making sense thanks 4 advice everybody will have a think and decide

Latest posts

Back