Moving an aggressive hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angularity

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have a hive at home which has turned very aggressive. I can't find the queen, not for want of trying believe me, and I want them out of the garden and away from our neighbours PDQ. I took 14 stings just on my right forearm last time I went into them. Next time I visit I'll be wearing two suits and long sleeves below that. Really looking forward to that in 24 degrees.

Unfortunately they've have turned in the last month or so, after I put the third super on (the village is surrounded by OSR this year). Does anyone have any tips on how to get them parcelled up and onto the truck? I assume I have to nadir all the supers, close them up at night then move them the following morning.

Do you mean clear the supers?
If they have stores in the brood I would clear all the supers into an empty drawn one. If no food then put a couple of full frames into that super. Then move them. Then have a look at those supers to decide what to do with them.

I would get them down to one super. Bee escapes on if you can leave them that long to force them down. Sealing them up at night on warm nights isn't easy but needs must. You don't need to nadir supers. Just strap them up tight and move them.
E

I have read here that a big flow of OSR can do that (no experience of it myself) so hopefully temporary.

I have had an emergency like that though and moved the boxes separately on different floors with lots of sprayed water. Good luck.

Check the hive is strong. I once moved a really hostile hive for a friend who wouldn't go near it. Sealed and strapped up; loaded into car. After a few hundred yards the rotten hive collapsed due to strain of straps. Had kept on suit (phew), but had to move bees off the veil to see the road. Funnily enough after a few minutes, they became very calm and left me alone, prefering to look out of the back window

Check the hive is strong. I once moved a really hostile hive for a friend who wouldn't go near it. Sealed and strapped up; loaded into car. After a few hundred yards the rotten hive collapsed due to strain of straps. Had kept on suit (phew), but had to move bees off the veil to see the road. Funnily enough after a few minutes, they became very calm and left me alone, prefering to look out of the back window

That made me chuckle - but there's something to be learned - thanks for sharing

I have had bees act like that when the OSR is coming off the flowering stage. Cold move them away then after all the OSR is done move them back. Could be queenless. Seen that aswell but only when you go through the hive.

Thanks for the replies.

The hive box is strong, only three years old. They're not queenless, as I can always find eggs but there are so many bees the queen hides well. The OSR is nearly over, which might explain some of it.

LOL.....Yes, have had a few incidents like that. I can laugh about them now.....but never can my partner, who has been too involved on more than one occasion! :(

I have a hive at home which has turned very aggressive. I can't find the queen, not for want of trying believe me, and I want them out of the garden and away from our neighbours PDQ. I took 14 stings just on my right forearm last time I went into them. Next time I visit I'll be wearing two suits and long sleeves below that. Really looking forward to that in 24 degrees.

Unfortunately they've have turned in the last month or so, after I put the third super on (the village is surrounded by OSR this year). Does anyone have any tips on how to get them parcelled up and onto the truck? I assume I have to nadir all the supers, close them up at night then move them the following morning.
Oil Seed Rape for certain. About five years ago I had five hives just outside Birmingham and without warning the farm neighbours planted it. The bees went totally 'fighting drunk' crazy when it flowered. The honey harvest was amazing, but hard to extract due to it solidifying in the frames. I may have to get used to this again.....as my new apiary could be surrounded by OSR in the future!

This is what I did with one colony that got a little lively.
An evening job:- One lift; supers off onto a piece of plywood or maybe an empty super as well if there are a lot of bees in there. Strap together. Place a crown board or ventilated board on top of the queen excluder, close entrance. Strap together. Move there and then. If there's two of you, the job can be quick. Re-assemble that evening as soon as moved. You will probably need both a smoker and a syrupy water spray to keep them down if they are a bit unpleasant.

Angularity, would love to know how it went!!! Please everyone remember to update us with outcomes!!!
E

Always better with two

This is what I did with one colony that got a little lively.
An evening job:- One lift; supers off onto a piece of plywood or maybe an empty super as well if there are a lot of bees in there. Strap together. Place a crown board or ventilated board on top of the queen excluder, close entrance. Strap together. Move there and then. If there's two of you, the job can be quick. Re-assemble that evening as soon as moved. You will probably need both a smoker and a syrupy water spray to keep them down if they are a bit unpleasant.

Get help from someone else, they can be covering the bees whilst you are lifting the supers. Much quicker.

Latest posts

Back