moved my hive today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dared

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
now 6!
Had to move my hive today, so as on double brood had no choice but to split the hive. Quickly took off the top box which is still heavy with stores , put this onto a spare base with closed up entrance and carried it the 20 metres to its new home. Bottom box with new cover then left for 20mins to let bees settle, entrance closed and moved to new home to be reunited with the top box. Everything looks ok with 7 frames covered in the bottom box. Funny thing is I have one old comb left to be changed in the bottom box but queenie seems to be glued to it as spent all winter in the same end of the brood box on her favourite frame. Can see this is going to be a difficult parting later in the year as sure she will fill it with brood.

Bees! If they only did what they were meant to do things would be so much easier.

P.S saw first queen bummble bee yesterday hovering along the side of the stream, looking for nest site I assume.

Why did you have to split in what is still February? Why move in now. Could it not have waited?

Sorry all, but when I read the title of this thread, I immediately had a Blind Faith riff pop into my head with Steve Winwood singing the words. Those of you who know will be able to work it out...

Last edited:
If only 20 metres away from the original location you-may find lots of lost bees today ;)

I have my hives "warm way".

When I want the Q to stop laying in a frame, I move the frame to the front of the hive. The slightly cooler conditions seem to discourage further egg laying on the frame.

I would have been tempted to ask for help and moved it as one box. Hope you have covered the entrance with something to help them reorientate!
E

Hi Dared,
I expect that you have done the broken branch bit to help reorientation and put a spare nuc on old site to scoop up any lost bees. It would have been better to do the three ft a day, but not so easy on double brood! Hope you don't get too much collateral damage.
Anyhow, I was interested in the queen being confined to one frame for long periods and the brood nest i.e. cluster not moving this winter. I spotted one of my queens at the very edge of the brood nest for weeks in the summer and concluded that the workers kept her there, because they did not want her to lay? Also, I have noticed that my bees have also stayed in the brood nest all winter and moved stores into it. I assume this is what they prefer to do temperatures permitting?

Hi Dared,
I expect that you have done the broken branch bit to help reorientation and put a spare nuc on old site to scoop up any lost bees. It would have been better to do the three ft a day, but not so easy on double brood! Hope you don't get too much collateral damage.
Anyhow, I was interested in the queen being confined to one frame for long periods and the brood nest i.e. cluster not moving this winter. I spotted one of my queens at the very edge of the brood nest for weeks in the summer and concluded that the workers kept her there, because they did not want her to lay? Also, I have noticed that my bees have also stayed in the brood nest all winter and moved stores into it. I assume this is what they prefer to do temperatures permitting?

Moving house so had to be moved, left it to late afternoon so no flyers left behind and sealed the entrance so went fairly easy. Checked old site today and only 2-3 casualties so looks to be ok. And yes have put a manuka bush infront of hive so hopefuly they will re orientate to new site.

At least 7 frames full of bees in the bottom box and 2-3 in the top box so looks like they are building fast. Certainly plenty of pollen going in.

Hi dared,
Great news! Thanks for sharing.

Back