mouse guards.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mice cant read calenders steve.:) Someone will no doubt have the exact day, but I will take mine off (when its setup), when I see an alternate easier to get food source for the mice, which will be when the temps rise and stabilise.

Take mouse gaurds off when ....... I think there is an alternate, sustainable easier to get food source for the mice.

Thats an elegant and geographically independent criteria/summary Storm!

Thanks both, that's the kind of thing I was after. It's pretty mild down here in the South East and my bees are piling in and out very enthusiastically, so I wondered if it was perhaps time to take them off, but I'll leave it until the weather is less likely to return to hard winter.

Easy to imagine- will do that next year -
Is polyurethane nibble proof- (dont know what it is :iamwithstupid:) - but sounds familiar.
There must be stuff on the market that is nibble proof and not cold - hellfire they are sending men to Mars (Lord knows why- this planet is more than enough for us to mess up!) - surely there must be a substance cheap and easy to produce...

Don’t tell anyone that I told you this, because it comes straight from NASA!

This new system throws a grid of laser beams at the entrance of the hive.
Using HR, that’s Hum Recognition, with sensors both inside and outside the hive.
It works like this.

The system is set up to the hum frequency for your bees. When the bee either wants to gain access to the hive or leave the hive, the grid is shut down so the bee can pass.
However, if you’re Mr Mouse or Wasp, works for both, they approach the Laser Grid singing the wrong tune so the Laser cuts them into diced sized pieces.

I know what you’re thinking, how can it shut down so fast and not hurt the Bees, well it works at the speed of light, yes that fast, if not faster.

When they first put this idea into prototype, they used a little touch pad each side of the entrance and it would recognise the foot print of the Bee wanting to pass and shut the Laser Grid down.
The only problem with that idea was that each Bees foot print had to be registered into the system and it took longer than they thought. Then just as they finished, the Bees upped and died and new ones came along, so they had to start all over again. HR is much better!!!

To start each unit will cost a little over a Million Pounds, but they have said they will offer a bulk discount and like everything, the unit cost will come down the more they sell...

But the other idea I had was to ask Hedgerowpete if he will take it on in his shed and make a video. That man is a wiz in his shed...

Now before I go, there may be some people out there thinking, what a load of rubbish, bees don’t have foot prints, but they do, go and look for yourself !!!

Brian

A ha? And the same people who came up with the StarWars initiative are presumably behind it. They call it the SWOT and MAIM system - Stop Wasp Offensive Threats & Mice Active Incineration Machine

bee-smillie

RAB

I bow to far superior bee knowledge...........but my first hive was on a couple of 4x2" s resting on a pair of concrete kerbs. When I visited the hive after a warmish sunny winter afternoon; near the entrance there'd be a dozen dead bees standing on the concrete and none on the timber

Sorry Richard you lost me with that one. Could it not be that the bees took the corpses out?

PH

I find this mouse guard to be very good.

v8mq39.jpg

Although he has been known to sleep on the job after a few ales

RAB

They weren't discarded corpses but seemingly 'flash frozen' by standing on the concrete with wings part extended, the hive was closely surrounded by an 8/10ft screen and they'd often come in and settle before flying into the hive.

I've always believed that because they were never found on the timber but only on the concrete that the heat loss through contact was sufficient to disable them.

richard

Wasn't Rab who asked, was me.

Prob yes. Chilled. And? Sorry to say but losing 6 bees on concrete is not grounds for a co-op funeral, it happens.

Bernard many years ago had bees in a silage pit, a disused one, and the bees that died on the way out/way home had him grabbing the farm manager yelling spray kill... but no it was natural mortality. Because on the concrete they showed, and the next year I hd the bees there too, and my goodness it was shocking, the concrete covered in bees, many with pollen baskets full, and all dead of work. The colonies were thriving....

Relax. Bees die for many many reasons and one of the main ones is old age... just like us.

PH

PH

My point is that these 'chilled bees' were ONLY on the concrete and not on the adjacent timber!

There is a distinct "thing" going on in this thread regarding the cold of the metal.

These mouse guards have been working perfectly well for longer than I know of, so nothing at all new. They work. It's that simple.

A lot of fretting over nothing.

PH

There is a distinct "thing" going on in this thread regarding the cold of the metal.

These mouse guards have been working perfectly well for longer than I know of, so nothing at all new. They work. It's that simple.

A lot of fretting over nothing.

PH

hmmm Poly Hive has shares in metal mouse guards me thinks. The article/study does not mention temperature Poly but rather electrical output of hives and bees, studying their electrical charge. I guess you didnt have chance to read through it fully.:)

If you read the thread Storm you will see there is jack about electricity until your post.

No I haven't read the article as time is limited.

Metal mouseguards are metal to keep the wee devils out. That is why they are metal, because they work.

If you are not aware of what rodents can do then lets start with brick.... they chew through it if inclined to do so.

Simple

PH

Latest posts

Back