mouse guards.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
....and I just only hope my local squirrels aren't reading this thread, they're up for any challenge!

If you read the thread Storm you will see there is jack about electricity until your post.

I have since it started. And I am confused as to your point. The OP posted this at the start of the thread - here ill post a little reminder for you Poly:

Why are mouseguards metal?
They make plastic QE.. the bees get to the metal mouseguard and the freezing cold of the metal stops some in their tracks and they are history. Surely plastic would reduce mortality.. or am I missing the obvious?

My post was supporting yours in that cold is perhaps not an influence as such but that electrical charge of it may be "may" be a more likely culprit.

No I haven't read the article as time is limited.

Metal mouseguards are metal to keep the wee devils out. That is why they are metal, because they work.

I know its kind of given away in the name - metal - mouse - guard. I think I am keeping up.

If you are not aware of what rodents can do then lets start with brick.... they chew through it if inclined to do so.

Are you saying this for my benefit or reminding yourself. They will also chew through foil but dislike it but I am aware of what a mouse can do unless you were being obtuse.

Well it was . . .

My point is that these 'chilled bees' were ONLY on the concrete and not on the adjacent timber!

Which point was that? That on the timber they could walk in, even if exhausted and unable to fly? From the concrete they would need more than use of the legs and presumably having made an abortive landing on the concrete slabs they were just about ready to capitulate anyway? That is of course ignoring the fact that the area of the slabs is a more likely landing place for the exhausted bees and they also have to do a vertical take off and not walk over the edge (and then land on the slabs)?

How about the colour of the wood? Somewhat warmer in light than concrete?

No, I think your results are severely skewed. Finally, concrete is not the material mouse guards are made of.

Latest posts

Back