Mouse gaurd

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluesman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
when fitting mouse guards do you put them on with reduced entrance block in place or without entrance block -? bluesman:cool:

I remove the entrance block before pinning them on - imo adequate ventilation is imperative for successful over-wintering.

You don't say if your on OMF if you are and you have a reduced entranced block place you don't need a mouse guard

Mine are on OMF so I use put them on the entrance block in the reduced position.

Depends of course on your type of mouse block, some are only full width.

I leave the entrance block on but with the entrance at the top so that, if there's a build up of debris/dead bees, they can still get in and out. Need to make sure that the holes in the guard line up with the entrance otherwise you might restrict access...

R2

I don't bother with mouse guard strips, most of my entrance blocks have a line of nails across the gaps. Simply turning the block by 90' gives a narrow entrance ideal for Winter or a wider gap for early Spring. Like me its cheap and simple... :rolleyes:

EB.JPG

IMHO you will need a mouseguard. If you leave the entrance block in with no guard, mice CAN get in.
Entrance block out,mouse guard in. Quick job.

Cazza

aye they are cutting down the crops now, so mice will be looking for new homes for the winter

See this thread http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7335. Last year I used entrance blocks with nails at 9mm intervals as in almost last post picture. No mouse problem (4 hives) over winter, and have left in through most of the summer this year without apparent problems. Have a mouse hole in path next to hives and often see said creature on beecam only. Any one want to buy some zinc mouse guards (unused)?

Last edited:
I don't bother with mouse guard strips, most of my entrance blocks have a line of nails across the gaps. Simply turning the block by 90' gives a narrow entrance ideal for Winter or a wider gap for early Spring. Like me its cheap and simple... :rolleyes:

EB.JPG

bloody good idea

I've used galvanised nails so they last longer before rusting and its surprising how much less pollen gets stripped of their legs as well as the various other body parts. (legs, antennae or wing) compared to mouse guards.

Most of my colonies are good strength and can defend the wider slot, if wasps become an issue I will turn the block round so the narrow 3 bee space slot is the only way in.

However wasp numbers this year are down in my area, and most of them are slightly smaller than last year and not as brave to attempt to raid any of my hives in larger numbers when I've been there once or twice a week.

Latest posts

Back