Motorising an extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popparand

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm planning on motorising a manual 6 frame radial extractor this winter. I've had enough of cranking the handle. Could anyone recommend a suitable electric motor? There's lots of choices on ebay but they all seem a bit bulky.

Personally I would go for one from an electric razor scooter. They are about 100W, 12 or 24VDC. You can control the speed with a PWM controller and at low voltage - very safe.

I've wondered whether using the motor from an old bouncy castle blower was going overboard.

There's plenty cheap on places like eBay, 220-240V with a 680W motor. With a variable resister to control speed it should be okay. My worry is, going overboard and risking shaking the comb apart, meaning bees have more work to do.

lyson.eu/sterowanie/3067-electric-drive-for-minima-honey-extractors-dedicated-for-lyson-extractors.html

If you're looking for something a bit more complete then I got one of these direct from Lyson in Poland. Works well and solves any stripped worm drive gear as well. says for Lyson models but easily fitted my no name extractor with a couple of holes drilled in the cross bar for the controller.

lyson.eu/sterowanie/3067-electric-drive-for-minima-honey-extractors-dedicated-for-lyson-extractors.html

If you're looking for something a bit more complete then I got one of these direct from Lyson in Poland. Works well and solves any stripped worm drive gear as well. says for Lyson models but easily fitted my no name extractor with a couple of holes drilled in the cross bar for the controller.

How much did it set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

Just over £100 IIRC. It was a while back when the exchange rate was far better and made sense at the time as got some other stuff as well. There's more choice these days on already motorised ones though and you need to weigh up against selling your current extractor . Lyson used to show prices on their site, maybe i linked the wrong one.

I'm planning on motorising a manual 6 frame radial extractor this winter. I've had enough of cranking the handle. Could anyone recommend a suitable electric motor? There's lots of choices on ebay but they all seem a bit bulky.

The other torquey motors that are very compact, are variable speed and come with a 12v transformer .. those that drive running machines ... you can pick up a working treadmill at your local recylcing centre for pounds - get them to show it's running before you buy it .. or there's always loads of them on ebay and gumtree ...

There are some on ebay that have been sold in working condition for as little as £1.00 !!

Last edited:
Hi Popparand i used a good sewing machine motor and a dimmer light switch got belt off fleabay it run a 9 frame extractor no problems

Just over £100 IIRC. It was a while back when the exchange rate was far better and made sense at the time as got some other stuff as well. There's more choice these days on already motorised ones though and you need to weigh up against selling your current extractor . Lyson used to show prices on their site, maybe i linked the wrong one.

Thanks!

I did a drill driven one over to a running machine motor, https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=682221&postcount=2076

£7 for motor control unit, £6 for enclosure, £22 for new belt & pullys (changed ratio a bit) and £1 for the treadmill so £36 all in.

Extractor vid

the best thing is that a DC motor deals with varying speeds much better than AC, thinking of changing the motor in my pillar drill for one next :)

I did a drill driven one over to a running machine motor, https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=682221&postcount=2076

£7 for motor control unit, £6 for enclosure, £22 for new belt & pullys (changed ratio a bit) and £1 for the treadmill so £36 all in.

Extractor vid

the best thing is that a DC motor deals with varying speeds much better than AC, thinking of changing the motor in my pillar drill for one next :)

Brilliant ... those treadmill motors are very useful and surprisingly powerful.

Back