Moron.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
On the school allotment where I have two hives.. the person who lives in one of the houses where one hive backs against his back fence, has today I am told, been leaning over the fence and cutting down lumps of tree/bush branches, and letting them drop onto the hive. Seems that the bees were not pleased.
As soon as I and the allotment holder who has told me about this get a chance together. we are going to cut up the branches and chuck them back over the fence into his garden....

were the bits of tree overhanging his property? if not he has no right to cut them.

Some of what he cut off were not........but......until I look I'm not completely sure which side of the fence the thing is growing, so he may well be within his rights, but if its on his side he will still get the stuff on the school side carefully and with consideration, placed back into his garden.
There seems to be no reason why he has cut it.. it wasnt blocking his light.

And if they were overhanging on his side he is allowed only to cut them at the boundary or on his side. They would then be your responsibility to clear up. Not sure if he is permitted to shift them to your side of the boundary.

Would it be a nice gift to him if I tossed a jar of honey over the fence, making sure that the lid was not too tight that he couldnt open it?

He is required by law to return them to the owner, usually achieved by chucking them over the boundary!

You are required by law to offer them back to the owner, they dont have to accept, if you throw them back onto their land you could get done for fly tipping.

were the bits of tree overhanging his property? if not he has no right to cut them.

:yeahthat:

I'd report him to the allotments officer at the council and tell them what action you intend to take.

Some of what he cut off were not........but......until I look I'm not completely sure which side of the fence the thing is growing, so he may well be within his rights, but if its on his side he will still get the stuff on the school side carefully and with consideration, placed back into his garden.
There seems to be no reason why he has cut it.. it wasnt blocking his light.

I had a woman approach us last year saying she wanted to replace a fence backing onto our property.

She asked if we could cut back some saplings which were causing her fence to rot. It turned out they were nowhere near, but foliage was hanging over. I offered to trim them back, but she would have to remove anything on her side and dispose of it.
Well, you would think I had insulted her mother. She seemed to think I should dispose of all the trimmings and I pointed out to her I would give her permission to cut back as much as she liked up to a certain point beyond her boundary IF she removed the material. She went mad. I left.

You are required by law to offer them back to the owner, they dont have to accept, if you throw them back onto their land you could get done for fly tipping.

:yeahthat:

Blimey.....I'm glad I haven't got any neighbours

I would simply untie the ropes and move life’s too short to worry about such things.
ps will hope to be making a few wbc’s soon enough for a nice apiary ;)

On the school allotment where I have two hives.. the person who lives in one of the houses where one hive backs against his back fence, has today I am told, been leaning over the fence and cutting down lumps of tree/bush branches, and letting them drop onto the hive. Seems that the bees were not pleased.
As soon as I and the allotment holder who has told me about this get a chance together. we are going to cut up the branches and chuck them back over the fence into his garden....

Why were you not caring for the trees yourself? If you'd kept them trimmed back he wouldn't have had to do it. He was within his rights to trim to the boundary line, an action he shouldn't have needed to do. That you had placed a hive there is irrelevant. You should control all trees and bushes to within your own property.

Why were you not caring for the trees yourself? If you'd kept them trimmed back he wouldn't have had to do it. He was within his rights to trim to the boundary line, an action he shouldn't have needed to do. That you had placed a hive there is irrelevant. You should control all trees and bushes to within your own property.

If read properly you will see that I have said that at present I am unsure as to whether the tree is growing in his garden or on school property.
If it it on school property then neither he nor I am allowed to trim the tree, because it belongs to the council.
If the tree is on his property then of course he is allowed to trim it but I find no explaination as to why, if he can lean over a 2 metre high fence to hack lumps off, that he allows those lumps to fall into the school grounds.
If the house concerned belongs to the council, then it may suprise you to know that the tree therefore also belongs to the council.

Latest posts

Back