More ways to tax motorists

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Puzzled...why should a car driver need to know how to drive a motor cycle?

you dont ride a motorcycle do you ? if you did you would know.
Motorcyclists by virtue of having their crush zones fitted with nerves are conditioned to be traffic aware to a level that it is quite difficult to descibe to a non biker.

It’s a different perspective on the “no seatbelt and a spike on the steering wheel” to improve road safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I got my cycling proficiency badge years ago.

Did you then get the Lycra to turn you into a fully trained road hogg.

We are not talking small numbers here, really 99.9% of them are complete road pigs, on there to deliberately cause havoc.

Last edited:
you dont ride a motorcycle do you ? if you did you would know.
Motorcyclists by virtue of having their crush zones fitted with nerves are conditioned to be traffic aware to a level that it is quite difficult to descibe to a non biker.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

I have an acquaintance who has been riding motorcycles almost as long as I have... very aware of other road users... careful and considerate... appreciates that the throttle goes both ways...
BUT as soon as he gets behind the wheel of his shiney BMW muscle car... drives like a total tit and complete arse!

Mytten da

:
BUT as soon as he gets behind the wheel of his shiney BMW muscle car... drives like a total tit and complete arse!

My Goodness Hoppy Agrees with me!
It makes no difference to your car driving if you ride a motor bike.

Sorry, I disagree. Having been a horse rider, cyclist, motorcyclist and pedestrian over the years, when I'm in my nice, safe, solid airbagged and crumple zoned car, I still keep in mind using the road from those perspectives - and drive accordingly. But perhaps it's because I'm a wishy washy wimpy softy and not a macho driver with zero patience. :rolleyes:

We could impose a higher tax on car drivers who havent passed their full bike test. We could then move on to making bicyclists and horse riders pass a test.

Derek's original supposition was that car drivers without a full motor cycle licence should be taxed higher. As this in some way would make them better card rivers. (Edit...Car drivers....whoa!!! was a good new year!)
As Hooppy has accurately pointed out having a bike licence doesn't necessarily make you a better car driver.

Last edited:
Derek's original supposition was that car drivers without a full motor cycle licence should be taxed higher. As this in some way would make them better card rivers. (Edit...Car drivers....whoa!!! was a good new year!)
As Hooppy has accurately pointed out having a bike licence doesn't necessarily make you a better car driver.

But for some totally unfathomable reason cost of my Defender insurance was halved when I put it with my Classic bike insurance!

What change of mindset happens when the bolshy BMW driver becomes a *MAMIL?

Besides riding two abreast and shouting bloomin car drivers???:calmdown:

*Middle Aged Man In Lycra

Nos da

My Goodness Hoppy Agrees with me!
It makes no difference to your car driving if you ride a motor bike.

While it may make no difference to some drivers, after a while the average standard rises regardless as those who dont improve no longer make up part of population. Motorist who never learn how to ride a motorbike and survive a winter of riding at low temperatures are mollycoddled, by being insulated from the effect of their own actions with deep comfy airbags.
I survived and so have the riders i know so it must work. Darwin in action What works with bees works with humans! :)

While it may make no difference to some drivers, after a while the average standard rises regardless as those who dont improve no longer make up part of population. Motorist who never learn how to ride a motorbike and survive a winter of riding at low temperatures are mollycoddled, by being insulated from the effect of their own actions with deep comfy airbags.
I survived and so have the riders i know so it must work. Darwin in action What works with bees works with humans! :)

Works for me. I had motorbikes before taking to four wheels. Also drive a 7.5 ton lorry (horsebox) and now a 4x4 with trailer. Having an expensive animal standing in the trailer behind makes it necessary to drive with anticipation and avoid sudden or jerky progress.

Must be something in my psyche?:spy:
I have my trusty Triumph Hinkley tripple as my daily ride + 2 Nortons and an AJS in the garage ( Carpeted and centrally heated!)
I have in the past owned and ridden most of the exotics.. Ducati, Laverda, Moto Guzzi, MV, Aprilla, and even once ( regrettably!) a heavy old slogger of a BMW!
not to forget Hondas and most of the other ricegrinders.... and even the most agricultural of them all... a Harley Davidson.

I survived and so have the riders I know so it must work. Darwin in action What works with bees works with humans... true enough!

HNY

None of us are perfect even if we think we are, it doesn't matter what you drive or ride.
I've had a few friends who killed themselves on bikes, they were totally at fault and unfortunately there were two innocent car drivers who lost their lives just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Weekend warriors in full leathers, complete with sliders, racing with their mates through the traffic in mid Wales is all too common in Summer. Most of them are so old they can barely swing their leg over the machine.
I doubt there is anyone driving who has never upset another road user.

Edit: I do have a full bike licence, sold the bike twenty years ago.

We have the infamous B1257 road near us. They have signs with the number of motorcyclists killed each year. Still flagged as a great biking road...

+ 2 Nortons and an AJS in the garage (Carpeted and centrally heated!)

You should be more careful! ! :ot:

Remember the National Motorcycle Museum Fire?:ohthedrama:

We have the infamous B1257 road near us. They have signs with the number of motorcyclists killed each year. Still flagged as a great biking road...

It's the Fosse Way here, Signs have removable numbers at the bottom now so they can be revised/updated as the weather changes!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back