More ways to tax motorists

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hivemaker.

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Pay-per-mile for lorries could be introduced to cut congestion. The Government is considering the introduction of mileage and emissions-based charges for lorries to cut congestion on the roads, according to reports.

Don't think it is likely to cut congestion, more likely to increase the price of everything being hauled.
They could also raise some more money by taxing bicycles and horses being ridden on public roads.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/23/councils-bid-share-100-million-pot-improve-roads/

Another blow to the haulage industry especially owner drivers, i know it is a different subject but the government are also highlighting wood burning/multi fuel stoves, so all those folk saving money on gas bills will no doubt be hit with a charge for something else.

Not everybody with wood burners though. Just smoky towns

Method in there madness, obviously there's more folk in towns so the government will no doubt be robbing folk already on the bread line who are trying to save money by having them installed, it is cutting gas bills so the government must be feeling the pinch somewhere down the line.

The council house I grew up in and in which my 87 year old mother died after living there for 50 years had an open fire till the council boarded it up for elfnsafety reasons. They put in an electric pretend gas fire which never warmed the room so mum lived in the kitchen. The open fire was brilliant. A lot of old furniture got burned in there over the years.

Haulage companies pay thousands for road tax however many miles they do, the idea is to tax by the mile, some will pay more, some will pay less ....... Maybe

Haulage companies pay thousands for road tax however many miles they do, the idea is to tax by the mile, some will pay more, some will pay less ....... Maybe

They are only allowed to so many miles/hrs speed limit per day anyway, i can see this idea causing mass road blocks yet again when jo blogs is trying to scrape a living.

They already have our goolies/female parts over the coals with petrol/diesel prices. Currently 57.95p per litre and then they have the nerve to charge 20% VAT on top of that! In effect taxing their tax.....
Makes you wonder where government income will come from when we all drive electric cars and the electricity is all produced by renewable energy! [sarcasm off]

Last edited:
Makes you wonder where government income will come from when we all drive electric cars and the electricity is all produced by renewable energy! [sarcasm off]
I'm sure they already have some cunning plan up their sleeve for that.

It will also apply to foreign haulage operators who, at the moment pay nothing towards our roads and usually tank up before coming over here so don't pay our oils excise duty either. Which makes them able to undercut UK haulage firms - 'cabotage'.
This could ease the excise burden on our operators and make them more competitive.

Well spotted, JBM. You got there before me. It is simply another brexit needvto avoid all trucks from the other side of the channel/north sea coming over free. There is likely a tariff coming for UK trucks travelling to the continent......

It will also apply to foreign haulage operators who, at the moment pay nothing towards our roads

They may avoid the fuel tax but they have had to pay something since 2014.

Foreign truck tax now in effect
“The levy means that visiting hauliers are legally required to contribute to the cost of our roads for the first time. It also does what is possible, within EU law, to level the playing field between UK hauliers and those from the continent and Ireland

British truck drivers have had to pay tolls and levies when working on the continent, whereas foreign trucks in the UK have not been required to do the same.

In a campaign bulletin issued shortly after the scheme went live, the Road Haulage Association (RHA) reported that fixed penalty notices totalling almost £20,000 were issued to foreign hauliers on the first day of the levy alone, according to transport minister Stephen Hammond.

http://transportoperator.co.uk/2014/04/09/foreign-truck-tax-now-in-effect/

the government are also highlighting wood burning/multi fuel stoves, so all those folk saving money on gas bills will no doubt be hit with a charge for something else.

From what I've seen, Townies with Woodburners have them for the fashion & nothing to do with heating their centrally heated homes. They buy their wood already cut split & dried from Waitrose or John Lewis and it has nothing at all to do with saving money! They also pay £1 000s to have them installed into an existing chimney. So I doubt it has anything to do with "saving money on Gas".

Not everybody with wood burners though. Just smoky towns

In any case aren't the majority of the wood burner designs already illegal in towns since the seventies?
http://www.uksmokecontrolareas.co.uk/

We have no mains gas supply in the village so there are hardly any chimneys that are not in use. However the smoke is not concentrated due to the small amount of properties.
Incidentally, had some fun with a cold call the other day;
Far-Eastern type asks "where do you buy your Gas sir"?
I replied, "Go Outdoors"
There was a delay as he checked through his list of suppliers before he comes back "I can't find that, Go Outdoors don't supply gas in the UK".

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Last edited:
They already have our goolies/female parts over the coals with petrol/diesel prices. Currently 57.95p per litre and then they have the nerve to charge 20% VAT on top of that! In effect taxing their tax.....

On the news they discussed those foreign trucks coming over here with their foreign diesel, polluting our air, damaging our roads, and not buying any British diesel whilst they were here.

Toll pricing has been floating around for years. It'll happen at some point because it is the easiest way to pay for road infrastructure.

Latest posts

Back