More ways to tax motorists

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toll pricing has been floating around for years. It'll happen at some point because it is the easiest way to pay for road infrastructure.

Ah yes good spot, wasn't that what "Road tax" was meant to have been for?

interestingly, it's supposed to be ring fenced again for the maintenance and infrastructure of our road networks in 2020.

the simple truth is in a service economy with the cost of health and the benefit system out of control we can only expect more taxation

interestingly, it's supposed to be ring fenced again for the maintenance and infrastructure of our road networks in 2020.

The hypothecation of VED is just a game, the transport infrastructure costs exceed the tax revenue.

Most taxes are based on consumption, which is why I'm sure at some point they'll work out a scheme where the pricing is low enough to 'save the average person' money and high enough to make more revenue from heavy users.

I suspect they'll just pin it to fuel duty.

Unlikely to tax bicycles. Bicycles help to lower congestion.

Unlikely to tax bicycles. Bicycles help to lower congestion.

Interesting...seems like they are one of the main causes of congestion, especially on narrow roads.

It certainly depends on the area infrastructure. Cyclists in cities with good cycle lanes aid congestion problems. Just imagine if all those bikes in Amsterdam were replaced with cars. I can imagine they slow things down on the narrow lanes down your way though. They tend to be a few holiday makers rather than daily commuters though.

Interesting...seems like they are one of the main causes of congestion, especially on narrow roads.

They are my worst nightmare during the summer on rural roads, you rather get stuck behind them while they ride side by side or risk your life trying to overtake them.

They are my worst nightmare during the summer on rural roads, you rather get stuck behind them while they ride side by side or risk your life trying to overtake them.

Same here, but they are not commuters, just Lycra clad road hogs, deliberately holding up local countryside commuters, they know you can't pass closer than 1.5 meters of them, so that means not at all on most of our small roads.

Last edited:
Same here, but they are not commuters, just Lycra clad road hogs, deliberately holding up local countryside commuters, they know you can't pass closer than 1.5 meters of them, so that means not at all on most of our small roads.

You need one of the old bus klaxons 😁 Better than a sonic cannon!

Just use your horn...occasionally ends up with brown stained lycra.

It's incredibly irritating...as a cyclist I stop and let cars pass...as a driver I just toot the irresponsible barstewards. and pass them as close as I can.

Lycra clad road hogs, deliberately holding up local countryside commuters,

they know you can't pass closer than 1.5 meters of them, so that means not at all on most of our small roads.

I'm inclined to just pass within 1.5 meters of the ones riding on the left hand side. :reddevil:

Boadicea's chariot, (and more lately James Bond's DB4) had some attachments that could be useful in such cases!

It certainly depends on the area infrastructure. Cyclists in cities with good cycle lanes aid congestion problems. Just imagine if all those bikes in Amsterdam were replaced with cars. I can imagine they slow things down on the narrow lanes down your way though. They tend to be a few holiday makers rather than daily commuters though.

25% of all traffic in London is on bicycle.

Back