More ways to tax motorists

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
even better - ban people from towns, wouldn't need buses, trains or cars then.
Nor bikes!

Or make them cycle everywhere

Sounds great. I’d happily never go to a city again. A lot of work can be done remotely these days.

I’d happily never go to a city again.

Nor me Ely, personally I think the morons should all be fenced in and never allowed out in to the countryside, ever.

Nor me Ely, personally I think the morons should all be fenced in and never allowed out in to the countryside, ever.

It would also mean a massive reduction in clueless 4x4 'drivers' clogging up the countryside.

It would also mean a massive reduction in clueless 4x4 'drivers' clogging up the countryside.

You’ll just be left with the ones on the school run then picking up tiny children in massive cars like dumpties.

Last edited:
It could also be that with most LGV'S now meeting the evermore stringent emissions standards and the benefits this brings in lower VED the government is looking at getting this money back however they can.

they usually live in towns - where else would you need a massive 4x4?

Don't knock the townies too much...imagine having to pay realistic rates for essential rural services if they weren't subsidized by the dense population of rate payers found in our cities...

All of them! Post, emergency services, healthcare..... but hey it’s winter, time for beekeepers to put the world to rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

All of them! Post, emergency services, healthcare..... but hey it’s winter, time for beekeepers to put the world to rights.

Post is private, it doesn't cost the emergency services or healthcare any more except for a bit of petrol. It is I that has to travel more miles to use the services! We have no street lights, fewer road signs and roads, no gas, at my last house we weren't even on mains water, ...... Ido see where you are coming from though so I accept the arguement. It just seems to people in the country that actually we don't get as much for our money but I do appreciate that what we do get may cost a little more.
Happy Christmas all
E

...you rather get stuck behind them while they ride side by side or risk your life trying to overtake them.

You risk your life overtaking a slow-moving cyclist (or cyclists), but don't consider it risky overtaking a fast-moving car?

especially as the buggers use the pavement.

Well, that's what Millet and some other people want, it seems.

... as a driver I just toot the irresponsible barstewards. and pass them as close as I can.

Couple of different videos of cyclists in the news.

I looked at the videos. The second one has clowns on cycles. Yes, they are irresponsible - but the cyclists in the first video are fine.

A car should overtake cyclists with the same consideration they would give a motorist. The cars in the first video had ample enough space to overtake the cyclists when the road ahead was clear.

I often cycle defensively like that in the middle of a narrow country lane or when approaching a roundabout in London in order to safeguard me against people like Beefriendly trying to run me down.
Kitta

Post is private, it doesn't cost the emergency services or healthcare any more except for a bit of petrol. It is I that has to travel more miles to use the services! We have no street lights, fewer road signs and roads, no gas, at my last house we weren't even on mains water, ...... Ido see where you are coming from though so I accept the arguement. It just seems to people in the country that actually we don't get as much for our money but I do appreciate that what we do get may cost a little more.

Happy Christmas all

E

I’m rural too. The point I was making is the government forces Royal Mail to charge the same for a letter from Shetland to lands end as it does from suburb to suburb and has to cost this across the network a stamp is a stamp. Royal Mail is not totally private it has to provide this service the true private mail companies pick and choose and charge much more to rural areas.
The bigger cost to emergency services than fuel is time. One nurse visit to a house in the middle of the highlands may take an hour or two extra so visits per day falls massively and cost soars.
Like I say I don’t object to this I pay my taxes without complaint and know I am funding the system. If we didn’t subsidise rural areas we would have even more migration to cities and without rural populations our domestic food and farming production and tourism would fall further and we would all be even worse off.
Too many people on this forum turn every discussion into a them and us argument and although this reply is to to you E, you are not guilty of picking those fights as far as I have seen. I am not criticising you here.

At the end of the day cyclists in Lycra nut hugging clothing who think they are doing the tour de france riding two abreast in a convoy should be banned from rural roads just like on Motorways for there own safety and the safety of other road users.

I often cycle defensively like that in the middle of a narrow country lane or when approaching a roundabout in London in order to safeguard me against people like Beefriendly trying to run me down.
Kitta
No Kitta I don't try to mow cyclists down, even if I feel some deserve it for their selfish behavior....those are the ones that get tooted and given a wide berth. But they are a damn nuisance on narrow country lanes. Many are fine but there are some who love having cars stuck behind them. Happily chatting to their mates three abreast on single track roads is just not on!...I wish they would do what I do when I'm out cycling, where I pull off the road and let the cars get past safely. It's not as though there are lots of cars that they would have to do that for.
Same thing when I'm driving and someone is driving faster than me, I pull over and let them get passed me.

If we had a sanctimonious tax we could fund a few hospitals from this thread alone.

Too many people on this forum turn every discussion into a them and us argument and although this reply is to to you E, you are not guilty of picking those fights as far as I have seen. I am not criticising you here.(quote)

No probs.....just felt left out cos I hadn't said anything yet!
Nothing wrong with a good debate I say.
E

At the end of the day cyclists in Lycra nut hugging clothing who think they are doing the tour de france riding two abreast in a convoy should be banned from rural roads just like on Motorways for there own safety and the safety of other road users.

Sorry but I have to disagree;

• the choice of clothing is their own choice
  • Riding two abreast is already mentioned in the highway code
  • They are bound by the laws of the road just like the drivers of motor-vehicles & horse riders.

However;
  • They should be adequately insured.
  • There should be some way of recognising them for enforcement / prosecution.
  • The bikes should be tested frequently for road-worthy condition
  • Those found to be in breach of the law should face fines & have their driving record endorsed via the courts

:judge:

Last edited:
I read an interesting article suggesting the energy saving of Lycra is a few percent (in Watts) when you are travelling at pro peloton speeds so makes a difference if travelling for 8 hours over mountains but the savings at 10 mph when you are a weekend warrior is negligible and you look a fool slipping around the pub loo in cleated shoes and Lycra when you are 20kg overweight.
If you are trying to lose that weight baggy clothes and wind resistance will help you shed it more quickly will it not?

I often cycle defensively like that in the middle of a narrow country lane or when approaching a roundabout in London

That's not defensive cycling - it's offensive, and you wonder why people get p!ssed off with cyclists

Latest posts

Back