More BBKA in-fighting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete D

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
50+. Double Std National & 14x12
This time about the IYB 2017 that they just hosted at our expense.
As an association chairman I have had 2 letters and an e mail from various parties clearing things up and putting their side...................

Tell us more. most of us know nothing of it????

We have circulated the communication to all of our committee

The e mail;

Dear Fellow Beekeeper

I am writing to you in my capacity as the Event Coordinator of IMYB 2017 and not as a trustee of the BBKA.

You may be aware that several letters have recently been circulated by the BBKA Chair and President which have made a number of inaccurate and also demeaning statements about IMYB and, by implication, about myself and Ruth who have taken the brunt of the organisation. Unfortunately, apart from several of the BBKA staff, there has been no support forthcoming from the majority of the Trustees.

Ruth & I have become rather tired of the unwarranted aggression shown by the Executive but now we have become the subject of censorship also. I quote from an e-mail to me from Stephen Barnes, Chair of BBKA Governance “I accept that you have a right of reply to the letter ....... Unfortunately as Chair of Governance I cannot sanction the use of BBKA headed stationery to circulate your letter ....... and I have instructed the General Manager not to do so.”

We therefore have no alternative but to write to you directly and I have attached an accurate summary together with an income and expenditure spreadsheet for your information. You will note that, rather than funding the event, the line that Margaret Murdin was peddling to any who would listen, it has in fact generated a substantial surplus for the BBKA. At an early stage, the BBKA Exec agreed that any surplus should be ring-fenced for activities related to the development of young beekeepers but it remains to be seen whether this commitment will be honoured.

Thank you to those who have supported IMYB.

Please feel free to forward this email if you are no longer in any official capacity with your association or indeed to your members if you see fit.

Regards,

Ian Homer

I could not deal with that rubbish in a calm manner, thank the lord i am a brain dead loner.
Millet....:iagree:
With some of the crap that has been sent in my direction recently I would like to join your new association of brain dead loners!

Does one have to pass a basic assessment in solitary beekeepering and will there be lots of certificates to hang on the toilet wall?

:judge:

Nos da

I have not sent any money to the BBKA this year.

How about a VBKA?

Virtual Beekeeping Association?

Admin?

Why do the folks at the BBKA insist on sending bitchy emails every time they disagree?

The only reason I'm still a member is that my association insists on it.

The e mail;

Dear Fellow Beekeeper

I am writing to you in my capacity as the Event Coordinator of IMYB 2017 and not as a trustee of the BBKA.

You may be aware that several letters have recently been circulated by the BBKA Chair and President which have made a number of inaccurate and also demeaning statements about IMYB and, by implication, about myself and Ruth who have taken the brunt of the organisation. Unfortunately, apart from several of the BBKA staff, there has been no support forthcoming from the majority of the Trustees.

Ruth & I have become rather tired of the unwarranted aggression shown by the Executive but now we have become the subject of censorship also. I quote from an e-mail to me from Stephen Barnes, Chair of BBKA Governance “I accept that you have a right of reply to the letter ....... Unfortunately as Chair of Governance I cannot sanction the use of BBKA headed stationery to circulate your letter ....... and I have instructed the General Manager not to do so.”

We therefore have no alternative but to write to you directly and I have attached an accurate summary together with an income and expenditure spreadsheet for your information. You will note that, rather than funding the event, the line that Margaret Murdin was peddling to any who would listen, it has in fact generated a substantial surplus for the BBKA. At an early stage, the BBKA Exec agreed that any surplus should be ring-fenced for activities related to the development of young beekeepers but it remains to be seen whether this commitment will be honoured.

Thank you to those who have supported IMYB.

Please feel free to forward this email if you are no longer in any official capacity with your association or indeed to your members if you see fit.

Regards,

Ian Homer

I'd like to see the accurate summary and spreadsheet mentioned.

I wonder if the SBA will start to accept English and welsh members now as there isn't going to be an independence vote for a while?

I wonder if the SBA will start to accept English and welsh members now as there isn't going to be an independence vote for a while?

I have read rather more of the entire correspondence - given as part of my duties (local Association) so sorry cannot disclose any more.
Part of one letter I saw was full of rather intemperate personal remarks about BBKA senior leadership in person... the kind of remarks that end up with cases for slander. (or is it libel? I never remember)

SO I read a lot of the comments as born of personal dislike more than anything else- not the kind of wording I would ever put to paper. Written in anger and haste I think.

(That is a polite reply)

I have read rather more of the entire correspondence - given as part of my duties (local Association) so sorry cannot disclose any more.
Part of one letter I saw was full of rather intemperate personal remarks about BBKA senior leadership in person... the kind of remarks that end up with cases for slander. (or is it libel? I never remember)

SO I read a lot of the comments as born of personal dislike more than anything else- not the kind of wording I would ever put to paper. Written in anger and haste I think.

(That is a polite reply)

Type in anger then delete. Calm down then type and send. That is the advice I always give to pupils at work.

I'd like to see the accurate summary and spreadsheet mentioned.

I don't understand why the executive sent the first communication. It shows considerable lack of judgement, given they had agreed to support the project after 'crisis talks'.

I don't like the way this looks and has the whiff of a witch hunt about it.

Last edited:

(That is a polite reply)

If you refer to Ian Homer's response, madasafish, I am not sure I can agree.

The first communiqué from executive neither clarified nor satisfied any queries, and could be seen as an indirect attack against those organising the event.

It was an ill judged and ill timed missive that should –-and could –- have waited until the event was finished. It looks like arse-watching, rather than the actions of an executive in control, which is disappointing as I'd hoped we'd left the days of poor judgement and no-governance behind us.

Unfortunately, it looks as though the executive hasn't seen fit to resolve differences behind closed doors and instead opted for a (rather pathetic) he said/she said position which makes them look rather amateur.

But then, what should we expect, with the record of public affairs BBKA has as an organisation?

I only hope someone sees sense and gets the matter dealt with quickly and then explains that it was just a bit of miscommunication/misunderstanding.

Latest posts

Back