Moody bees today :-(

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont see that anybody has made any nasty comments.

There is only this and another in a similar vein that I can see you have taken offence over.

Perhaps they remembered that you ripped off their roof and poked them about for no good reason???

IMO it's still a little cold to be doing full inspection from the bees point of view after someone took their home apart and let all the heat out!

have you stopped and considered that it is as close to a correct answer that anybody is able to give, and not a smart ar** answer because its not what you expected to hear.

Last edited:
:icon_204-2:

Same old. Ask a question and the same people want to row. Really makes me laugh lolololol

I can't see anyone in this thread looking for an argument ... you are reading it wrong somewhere ... indeed, in the last few months the forum has been a very amicable place ... even a debate about politics was conducted without anyone getting out of order .. or insulted (apart from the various personalities we were discussing that is !).

I hate to think what people would have thought of the long long threads on neonicotinoids... and the abuse on those..
The debate on politics was like a vicar's tea party - without the vicar...(too busy making more crownboards no doubt...)

I hate to think what people would have thought of the long long threads on neonicotinoids... and the abuse on those..
The debate on politics was like a vicar's tea party - without the vicar...(too busy making more crownboards no doubt...)

Ahhh... those were the days ... some really good brawls ... still going on in that other place occasionally !

I must remember to look at my own old posts as well. Thanks for that Pargyle. I just don't have as much time on my hands and just come in and think.... oh I'll ask the friendly forum what they think.

I try and keep regular records of what is happening (allotments, bees etc) ... particularly any unusual happenings ... my memory is not what it used to be and it's often reassuring to look back at a previous year and find that similar happenings occurred and how they were resolved or resolved themselves.

I have a very selective memory ... I don't know why some things stick and others don't.

I try and keep regular records of what is happening (allotments, bees etc) ... particularly any unusual happenings ... my memory is not what it used to be and it's often reassuring to look back at a previous year and find that similar happenings occurred and how they were resolved or resolved themselves.

I have a very selective memory ... I don't know why some things stick and others don't.

I was going to look up what the situation was with lost colonies at this time last year, but are we up to point when all the bad news started yet?

just a thought..
did you take any stings to your suit/gloves when you inspected them the day before ?
you might not have noticed it but i'm sure they would smell it.

Steve, glad to hear they'd settled a bit for you. Had a similar experience myself today. We've had a really mild winter here, and I knew the hives were building up due to the amount of activity on mild days. I also wanted to put the QE back into the larger colony. Temperature is 18 degrees.

The smaller colony had built up nicely, bringing in pollen and working through their stores, so gave them some semi-crystallised honey on a sheet of greaseproof paper.

The larger colony was full to the seams - BB and half, plus 2 supers, heaving with bees. Plenty of stores, lots of pollen inbound. Put another super on top to give them a bit of breathing space, but will wait for them to settle before doing a full inspection.

Just getting a bit old for playing games but I understand some do :rolleyes:

I like answers from more experienced people than myself but I expect sarcasm from this site now, its just a part of the norm

And the better for it. Perhaps if you only just combined them, you should leave them a bit longer to settle down.

When I unite colonies, I won't go in them for a week. How long since you united?

Steve.. just wondered why you inspected 2 days in a row? Maybe they remembered you from yesterday, and sent a message.
Cloth over all whilst inspecting keep their heads down. Just roll it back as needed.
19d down here so fine to open, but once a week should be fine at that temp - if needed at all..

Today was mostly good although there was just one bee that was cranky and patrolling the patio. Kept jumping on anything that moved and then the dog got it. Strange as no problems near the hive at all and I was gardening around them today.
I can only keep nice bees as they are in my garden and have children so any long term change then I will re-queen.

Hi Steve,
May I commend you on the re-queening of your swarmy hives. Most newbies have a baptism of fire in their first or second year, but few get around to re-queening as well to solve the problem! Well done! Bees are like the beeks on this forum have cranky days, weeks, months or are just plain cranky! But my bees are behaving themselves at the moment, presumably because there is a flow on. I would expect a lot of beeks on this forum to be particularly cranky at the moment! Can you imagine the stress of sitting on your hands for another month without being able to inspect, knowing what we know. It must be like having been relegated to one of those natural beekeeping chaps.

Hi Steve,
May I commend you on the re-queening of your swarmy hives. Most newbies have a baptism of fire in their first or second year, but few get around to re-queening as well to solve the problem! Well done! Bees are like the beeks on this forum have cranky days, weeks, months or are just plain cranky! But my bees are behaving themselves at the moment, presumably because there is a flow on. I would expect a lot of beeks on this forum to be particularly cranky at the moment! Can you imagine the stress of sitting on your hands for another month without being able to inspect, knowing what we know. It must be like having been relegated to one of those natural beekeeping chaps.

Thanks Beeno for your comments.
Last year was quite a year especially as it was my first.
If you remember they were very swarmy, my fault - I think doing a split and adding a Carni queen. They just swarmed continuously. I joined six hives back down to 3 and got rid of the Carni's and now only have Buckfast, so hopefully a less tiring year ahead for me.
One good thing though, I learnt a hell of a lot, mostly through my own mistakes.... and i'm sure I will carry on making mistakes. But over all it was a success.
Today they are ok again and taking no notice of the family in the garden.
One thing I would say about cranky beeks - we should be encouraging people to keep bees not put them off :)

Latest posts

Back