Miracle Manuka: one for you, JBM :-)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The comments are more telling than the piece itself.

CVB

Yes ... but did you read what the 'Researchers' were comparing Manuka to ...

"A dilution of 3.3 per cent was found to reduce stickiness 35 per cent after 48 hours, compared with artificial honey, which is made of sugar or corn syrup"

So ... where in the UK is is permissible to sell or produce 'Artificial Honey' ???

The 'Times' html link no longer works, but given the quality of scientific reporting this might be no great loss. The orginal paper is free to download:

Somadina Emineke, Alan J Cooper, Sarah Fouch, Brian R Birch, Bashir A Lwaleed. Diluted honey inhibits biofilm formation: potential application in urinary catheter management? Journal of Clinical Pathology, 2016; jclinpath-2015-203546 DOI: 10.1136/jclinpath-2015-203546

A useful summary can be found at the Science Daily website: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/09/160926221248.htm or try searching for: bashir lwaleed science daily

All kidding aside, I may well be headed in that direction and have had a hospital-acquired infection from catheterisation in the past. Most unpleasant it was too. I am in touch with one member who is very open and supportive on these issues and does it every day. My bro-in-law has to do it whenever he pees (MS) so if honey, Manookie or not, has a role to play it's good to know about.

what a cock and ball article that is, I live in the land of the long white cloud, ( Aotearoa to you in Maori speak )
It's horrible to eat, or spread anywhere, as a topical antibiotic dressing, I think they have proven that clover honey is near as good. Don't ever eat the stronger stuff ( manuka that hasn't been so heavily diluted with other honey flora types, it'll ruin ya guts )

What a marketing triumph ! how to sell cr..p to the gullible

What a marketing triumph ! how to sell cr..p to the gullible

Even worse than that - according to New Zealand Agriculture department figures the UK buy just under 20% of NZ's Mannoka honey crop so study these figures carefully:

The figures from the Apiculture monitoring report published 2016 state

Total (manooka and edible honey) honey produced in the year - 19,710 tonnes
Total amount of Manooka produced 1,700 tonnes
Average yield per hive (just chucked this in for fantasists like finny) 34.2 Kg

So if the UK only buy 20% of NZ's honey exports we import less than - 340 tons

How is it that 1,800 tons of the stuff is eaten in the UK annually?

Anyway - they've now found a more sensible use for it http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38192

Last edited:
So if the UK only buy 20% of NZ's honey exports
How is it that 1,800 tons of the stuff is eaten in the UK annually?
By blending 340 tons of manuka with 1460 tons of other honey to make 1800 tons?
Most manuka honey sold in retail packaging seems to be blends with only a small proportion of actual manuka

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Back