mini nuc to full sized nuc?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keith to set the record straight I never mentioned adding brood.
> read back your posts. you mention adding brood 3 times.

I told you how long it tould take to take a mini to a full colony, and I might add YOU never mentioned you were wanting to discuss packages.
I found three pound packages got to a full colony from mid April and a few combs of honey but that is all.

> I was you that first brought up the subject of packages. All i was doing was trying to make the question a bit more simple for you.

Happy New Year, and if anything at all this thread demonstrates that expressing a clear question is very helpful.

>Like they anyone would tell you, before you answer. Read the question.
All i was looking for was a simple answer, like hivemaker gave.

Happy new year.

Keith to set the record straight I never mentioned adding brood. I told you how long it tould take to take a mini to a full colony, and I might add YOU never mentioned you were wanting to discuss packages.

Getting a two pound package to have 6 supers on it is easy. Put bees in hive, put on excluder and any fool can add 6 empty supers. Do I believe the claim? In a word NO.

PH[/quote]

when I started beekeeping long time ago, i bought lots of swarms. I learned to put 8 lbs bees (joined swarms) into two langstroth box. I got my money back in first summer because they brought 40 kg honey per hive.

The swarms came about in the middle of June and the hives got a third box at the end of July. they did not grew bigger in our summer.

If I compare a start of wintered colony in Spring, it takes 2 months before a colony starts to grow.
A 5 frame nuc with 3-4 brood frames is faster. It takes its own time too debending on how old the brood is.

But as it was said, mininucs are not ment to rear colonies. They are only for mating queens.

Last edited:
An old joke: how do you get 4 elephants into beetle volkswagen ?

2 on front seats and 2 on back.

Last edited:
An old joke: how do you get 4 elephants into beetle volkswagen ?

2 on front seats and 2 on back.

In my day it was a Mini, not a Beetle, but no matter.

How do you get two whales in a Mini?

Over the Severn Bridge.

How do you get four whales in a Mini?

Make the elephants get out first.

How can you tell there's an elephant in your fridge?

Huge footprints in the butter.

How can you tell there are two elephants in your fridge?

You can't close the door.

Two parrots on a perch. One asks the other "Can you smell fish?".

Two lions walking down the High Street. One says to the other "Not very busy for a Saturday morning, is it?"

I think that's quite enough of that...

James

We had allways VW. We respected Mini because some masters drove rally with Mini.

- What did Tarzan say when sheep came over hill?i
- Jane! Who heck has left the gate open

Last edited:
Not sure we are reading the same thread Keith. I have read all my posts and I cannot see where I have mentioned adding brood.

I mentioned a three pound package as a comparison only.

PH

Not sure we are reading the same thread Keith. I have read all my posts and I cannot see where I have mentioned adding brood.

I mentioned a three pound package as a comparison only.

PH

>Also I would look to add at least one if not three frames of brood to help the cause as your shook bees are literally dying day by day.

>Would it not be much easier to take of some frames of bees and brood then give a cell and let them take off from there

That was the nuc you asked about Keith not the mini situation.

Good luck for this year.

PH

Back