mice destroyed my hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeogi75

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15 nationals
I have a out apery with 8 nucs and 7 hives, when I was there last time about a month ago checked and put some fondant on the hives I thought was a little light and on all the nucs, and shut up for winter waiting for the weather to get colder, so I can treat and feed if necessary, today went to check make sure everything was ok after the wind last night, the nucs all but one had died out and mouse nests in them, and only half the coomb left the rest had been eaten away, and the hives that had fondant on as well the same never had this much trouble with mice, I counted two, three, and four mice in each box, absolutely destroyed the inside coombs and had nests, I think if I am going to keep bees there they will need mouse guards on they did have plastic entrance on and they just chewed everything in site.

That is shocking! Sorry to hear that.

rural hives?

What sort of stands do you have?

I counted two, three, and four mice in each box, absolutely destroyed the inside coombs and had nests, I think if I am going to keep bees there they will need mouse guards on they did have plastic entrance on and they just chewed everything in site.

They have had plenty of time, been there since September, reading these two posts from the 19th Sept.

I have a chewing sound from mine, sounds like a wasp chewing wood for its nest, but checked and cannot find any thing any ideas never heard this before,my hive is humming like mad as well.

checked over 8 nucs to get ready for the winter, and put feeders on empty ready, inspected last week and took some mouse guards with me as last year got pestered with them, found 3 with mice already in and four mice in one box, bees all the at top of frames, just caught them in time will have to do this job earlier next year, got eight hives to check as well better take more mouse guards, just getting wasps and robbing starting busy time ahead me thinks.

next to woodland and on wooden stands surrounded on all four sides with hedge ,this is the first time we have had trouble with mice in numbers, we have had single attacks before but not on this scale

One single attack was good enough for me to always use mouse guards....what has taken you so long? Lots of sterilising to do before I would use those hives again! Mice are dirty creatures!
E

you could, of course, opt for a different type of floor if your hive will take it. Someone on here posted a long while back about Dartington floors and I have now made them for all my hives. mouse proof and a whole host of other benefits. Just a thought.

there was mice before but not nest building, and did put some mouse guards on but only plastic, will need to get some metal ones from Simon, I closed up for winter with feeders on ready, and there was some good weight to them, the entrances are very small I thought with the bees they would defend the entrance, but they got in and eaten the coomb half way up the frames, which left very little for the bees, next time I went just to lift for weight some were light so slapped some fondant on top, I think that is what drawn the mice as it was the ones with fondant on they attacked.

One single attack was good enough for me to always use mouse guards....what has taken you so long? Lots of sterilising to do before I would use those hives again! Mice are dirty creatures!
E

Guess you haven't read the recent thread on who does and does not use mouseguards then!

It is an unfortunate event, but the circumstances around the invasion could be interesting to many. I put my mouseguards on with pins, but they are fallible.

For an invasion like this, you would need to presume a huge population of mice, lack of natural habitat or hives that are extremely easy to get into.

Rather than blaming the owner, it is better to try and understand why the hives have been so attractive.

Dartington enterances are meant to assist with protection against wasps. Have you had a wasp attack? If so, why have you not fitted them? We could apply the same logic to many things.

the entrances are very small I thought with the bees they would defend the entrance

They would defend the entrance normally, but bees cluster during cold weather, which leaves the entrance unguarded.

I can't remember who posted about them - but someone on here has been using stands made from angle iron - they sound like the dog's whatsits as far as mice are concerned.

If you're staying with wood, then consider fitting some rat-discs to the legs. Here's the general idea - except there shouldn't be any gaps (!) in the disc for the little buqqers to squeeze through :

15eickw.jpg

LJ

Thinks: some old saucepan lids would do the job nicely ... :)

Last edited:
metal mouse guards on, but they don't stop them from getting in,
removed these supers off and put spare ones on to replace them, now I am going to have to make some repairs now. good job we have some where else next year, its the only place I know where the frosts stay well into afternoon and every where is damp still at the time was all on offer.

Attachments

• DSC_0067.jpg
    DSC_0067.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 136
yeogi

nice clear pic - imho by the way they've gnawed at the rh side wall = it's not just mice!

mice

next to woodland and on wooden stands surrounded on all four sides with hedge ,this is the first time we have had trouble with mice in numbers, we have had single attacks before but not on this scale

if you are that close to the wood go native hang the nuc s. like log hives. lol. sorry to hear loss, but that's beekeeping. live and learn, I bet you won't lose them next year.

yeogi

nice clear pic - imho by the way they've gnawed at the rh side wall = it's not just mice!

That's something bigger than a mouse that has been gnawing at that hive.. Rat or perhaps a fox ? Doesn't look to be enough damage to be a badger ... they can be really destructive ...

I agree with pargyle
Something bigger.
If I had Rats that big in my garden I could get husband to wrestle them to death instead of resorting to all sorts of ineffective trap.

I cornered 3 in my garage ( bird seed tubs the attraction) . Hit them with a spade...sorry rat lovers, but they were in MY space!

Cannot understand why any beekeeper in the rural setting hasn't mouse guards on from Oct onwards. Open invitation to the rodents.

I cornered 3 in my garage ( bird seed tubs the attraction) . Hit them with a spade...sorry rat lovers, but they were in MY space!

Cannot understand why any beekeeper in the rural setting hasn't mouse guards on from Oct onwards. Open invitation to the rodents.

My bees are adjacent to the chicken houses and permanent rat-bait stations. Harvest time or the onset of winter usually leads to a flurry of bait consumption but only sporadic feeding at other times of the year.

A good wake up call... have fitted on two hives , not on the others, will do so as a result of this .. Sorry to see your issues re the Meese's.

To quote Snagglepus.... or Topcat or one of them

" I hate those Meese's to Pieces !!! :) "

A good wake up call... have fitted on two hives , not on the others, will do so as a result of this .. Sorry to see your issues re the Meese's.

To quote Snagglepus.... or Topcat or one of them

Mr Jinx regarding Pixie and Dixie I think :)

Back