May contain nuts

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King Scavenger

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am getting ready to make some labels up for my honey and something came to mind. How can I guarantee that my bees haven't found some peanut plants? Either in a garden, greenhouse or polytunnel, within the 3 miles radius from my apiary. Should I keep to the safe side and put "May Contain Nuts" on my labels. ?:hairpull:

To be honest, I think your going a bit far, more importantly make sure your honey is labelled correctly for weight and that it is described wright. Honey which is predominantly rape should not be described as wildflower.

I am getting ready to make some labels up for my honey and something came to mind. How can I guarantee that my bees haven't found some peanut plants? Either in a garden, greenhouse or polytunnel, within the 3 miles radius from my apiary. Should I keep to the safe side and put "May Contain Nuts" on my labels. ?:hairpull:
And what about hazelnuts there's catkins everywhere, you should also be mindful that some people are gluten intolerant - can you be sure that your honey is gluten free? and SWMBO informs me that tomato allergies are now very common. ....
Better get a bigger label :D

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I would have thought that this Forum should also have such a warning!!:icon_204-2:

Trading standards will be after you if you have a "may contain nuts" label, as that's not within the permitted contents, but you might want to add a "drink responsibly" label just in case it ferments.

Is it any wonder why some new starters don't bother to post!!!

Chill......maybe the OP's post was tongue in cheek.
If it wasn't then the answer is NO
You can't go far wrong than ordering a ready made label from Thorne in your first season. They have masses of designs to choose from

I've got this mental image of foraging bees flying back to the hive while struggling to carry nuts, some of which exceed the size of the bee by several magnitudes :icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

No nuts in my honey. I wear protection.

Marginally related: on the stalls of local beekeepers in Italy, you can buy small jars of nuts in honey. Is that a thing in the UK?

Marginally related: on the stalls of local beekeepers in Italy, you can buy small jars of nuts in honey. Is that a thing in the UK?

The colonials over the pond like their almonds bottled in honey... and without bees there would be neither!

Yeghes da

As peanuts are a tropical not temperate climate plant and require soli temps of 65-70c will it even grow in quanities in the uk, do you know of any growers of peanuts in the UK as it would be very unecomonic venture ? Even if they did exist, what chance of peanut oil transfer do you think is possible from nectar?

Pollen maybe a source of the oil but it is a small legume flowered plant and honeybees cannot easily collect the pollen

DONT OVER THINK and look at over honey labels for guidance if unsure

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back