Mating to laying

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moby

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have a nuc which I made up from a split a few weeks ago the queen has emerged and the bees are in a good temprament and are bringing in nactar however no eggs seen as yet, how long does it take on average for a virgin queen from mating until she starts laying? and how long should I leave it until I start doing something about it if she is a dud?

Thanks will hang five for a while longer

Just looking back through my hive records for this year and all three of my new queens took between 2 and 3 weeks between emergence and laying. Last year I had one that took four weeks. Patience my friend.

Depends upon the weather - good sunny weather with little wind is favourable. If it is Raining and cool, the queen will not want to go out.

Also, the number of fertile drones. So it could be anything from 3 - 4 days, to 3 - 4 weeks.

<how long does it take on average for a virgin queen from mating until she starts laying?>

Three or four days after mating but how do you know she mated?

I had an emerged queen that took about six weeks to start laying. Weather was too cold for a mating flight, temps of at least 20C required.

Depends upon the weather - good sunny weather with little wind is favourable. If it is Raining and cool, the queen will not want to go out.

Also, the number of fertile drones. So it could be anything from 3 - 4 days, to 3 - 4 weeks.

Not known it to take that long Rosie....not from mating to laying as asked by the op.

Three or four days after mating but how do you know she mated?

Often when checking mating nucs you can see they have mated by what is called the mating mark,drone appendages on rear of queen,plus if a couple of days after mating size and movement of queen is a good indicator as well.

Not known it to take that long Rosie....not from mating to laying as asked by the op.

You've picked up on the important detail- I think Moby asked a slightly unhelpful question, as the crucial thing is the weather for mating. What most people have been answering is the more useful question, how long from emerging to laying.

You've picked up on the important detail- I think Moby asked a slightly unhelpful question, as the crucial thing is the weather for mating. What most people have been answering is the more useful question, how long from emerging to laying.

:iagree:I apologise for the unhelpful question, I had thought of weather conditions, but opted being economical with words my fault.

Thank you RosieMc

I will try and be a bit patient and not intefere with them for a few more weeks

reminds me slightly of the planting instructions i read once for some veg seeds - "sow 6 weeks before the last frost".

If i was that clairvoyant i'd not be growing own veg but instead would be making a living fortune telling!

:iagree:I apologise for the unhelpful question, I had thought of weather conditions, but opted being economical with words my fault.

Thank you RosieMc

I will try and be a bit patient and not intefere with them for a few more weeks

I hope my post didn't sound too snotty- I was just pointing out that you might not be getting the info you needed.

This year seems to have proved that weather is everything- those who produced queens early probably having better luck than those that did it at the 'right' time!

I have had a lot of queens mated and never had one laying that quick after emerging. 9 days was my qiuckest, but on average about 12 days depending on the weather.

Three ot four days after mating, not emerging.

I had two hives this year that took 4 -5 weeks for the queens to mate and lay after the May a/s. I did put several test frames in, but no queen cells were ever made. I had given up all hope

All if you ain't realised it yet weather in beekeeping is king.

End of.

PH

Sorry, forgot to say - on the third a/s I ended up with a drone layer as well!

Latest posts

Back