Mating to laying

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had two hives this year that took 4 -5 weeks for the queens to mate and lay after the May a/s. I did put several test frames in, but no queen cells were ever made. I had given up all hope

Thats about right if a big colony,smaller mini nuc's are much faster if weather conditions are right,but that is from emerging until laying, not the time from mating to laying,which is 3 or 4 days.

I had two hives this year that took 4 -5 weeks for the queens to mate and lay after the May a/s. I did put several test frames in, but no queen cells were ever made. I had given up all hope

They were most probably mated early on. If there wasn't much food coming there can be a delay in laying.

Well its pushing on to 4 weeks now no sign of eggs, bees seem quite content 1 super nearly full and some are occassionally bringing in pollen... not as much as the other hive though, will put a test frame in this week and see what happens.

I have a nuc made up on 21st July with a newly emerged virgin queen (see my thread 'Surplus newly hatched Queen captured...what next?') and a small cast swarm from a friend's apiary on 22nd July. Both have eggs in today.. Whoopeee, something is going right for a change. But....with reference to my current thread ( How common is a drone Laying Queen or laying workers?), I'll not count my chickens yet.

i would never open the hive or nuc to look for eggs till about 14 days after emergence

Latest posts

Back