Mating nuc clear inner cover

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDWOOD

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
After failed searches around the shed for a suitable material to make an inner cover I had a bit of a brainwave and used an A4 laminated sheet with no insert and run it through the laminator.

Attachments

• WIN_20150602_202258.JPG
    WIN_20150602_202258.JPG
    399.6 KB
  • WIN_20150602_202315.JPG
    WIN_20150602_202315.JPG
    449.4 KB
That was on my list of possibilities.
A few months ago I noticed a nice thick piece of plycarb lying in a ditch. It was there for about a week so I acquired it, I couldn't work out where it came from. About a week later I saw a guy working on a bus shelter about 30m away replacing one of the panes that had obviously kicked out. I offered it back but he told me it was easier to fit the new one and work away!

After failed searches around the shed for a suitable material to make an inner cover I had a bit of a brainwave and used an A4 laminated sheet with no insert and run it through the laminator.

Which mating nucs are these, do you find them better than Apidea, I notice, one more frame.

I bought a big roll of clear plastic from Jewsons (builders use to line walls). It serves as covers in all my poly hives / nucs / etc.

I tend to use a piece of heavy plastic as a cover or recycle one of the plastic bags that brood foundation tends to come in. Folded in half, they make a handy inner cover that can be disposed of rather than having to wash it. I have however asked a friend to get me some polycarbonate from his nephew....
I like the flexibility of these Kielers. Queens can be kept in them longer than an Apidea. To get them started off, you can make them up with just three top bars, moving the feeder forward one notch to act as a divider. A piece of foam or such like can be pressed in behind the feeder to keep the bees out of the void. Once they have built up, the feeder can be moved back and an extra top bar added.

A good source are advertised as greenhouse / shed glazing panels.

18" square/wide is a standard size for greenhouse glazing.
I would only use greenhouse glazing made of plastic and not glass though, as that glass isn't particularly strong.

A good source are advertised as greenhouse / shed glazing panels.

18" square/wide is a standard size for greenhouse glazing.
I would only use greenhouse glazing made of plastic and not glass though, as that glass isn't particularly strong.

Funny, all the greenhouse glass I've seen is either 2'x2' or 18"x2'

I cut mine down from 18x24`s that I had, but yes you're right, 24" is the norm.

I use this stuff...

Polar Flexible PVC Door Strip/Curtain 100mm x 2mm x 25m
on FleaBuy

Have tried plastic bags and making solid sheets, but this stuff bends and is heavy enough not to fly away and get lost in the long grass!

both Keilers and the dreaded Chinese Swine Bines are 190mm x 240 /124 so sheet can easily be trimmed on industrial guillotine... the one I use to cut aluminum sheets for beehive roofs seems to cut it nicely.

Yeghes da

Latest posts

Back