Masks/filters for oxalic

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thread is meant to be discussing masks
Often confusing to try and match manufacturer retail codes against HSE grading, but Moldex have a plainspeak guided called Good to Know, especially pages on Gas Filter Classes and Protection Levels and Particulate Filter Protection Levels.

Find hse.gov.uk/EU filter codes on page 45.

3M 4255+ maintenance free respirator
That is A2P3.

3M D8095 filter
That is A2P3.

type FFP2
FFP stands for Filtering Facepiece and is not a full face mask, so eye contamination cannot be prevented (even by wearing safety glasses).

half mask with 6059 + 5935 filters
6059 filters only to A1 inorganic and organic vapours, but 5935 does filter to P3. Eye protection as above.

Amazon - PT-101 Respirator & P-A-3 Filter Set
Chinese mask that reveals no filter grades but instead uses reassuring words like professional and high quality. At £80 it's pricey compared to others that declare filter grades to UK/EU standards.

Spanish filter graded B1E1. B1 is fine for inorganic gases and vapours (chlorine, hydrogen sulfide and hydrogen cyanide) and E1 for sulphur dioxide, but these grades are not equivalent to A and P filters for sublimated OA.

FFP stands for Filtering Facepiece and is not a full face mask, so eye contamination cannot be prevented (even by wearing safety glasses).

My point was that the Manufacturers of the approved material only suggests the use of a simple mask and safety glasses where as the manufactures of the masks recommend a much more substantial mask. Maybe I'm cynical but is that because they make more out of selling the higher grade masks?!
Personally I would normally expect the manufacturers of the material to be protecting their arse by over specifying the mask.

Chinese mask that reveals no filter grades but instead uses reassuring words like professional and high quality. At £80 it's pricey compared to others that declare filter grades to UK/EU standards.
Just to add a little more detail to this -

It states filter grade at P-A-3 - P-A-3 Dual Filter Set - Combination Organic Vapor and Particulate Filter - ASTM Tested (Replaces T-61 & PD-101 Masks)
ASTM tested E2952 - 17 Standards (NIOSH certification application pending)

The mask is well made* and seals very well and protects vision, you can swop out the filters for 3M if you wish.
https://parcilsafety.uk/products/pd100-full-face-respirator
*The Moldex mask fell to bits.

I'll be keeping this Chinese mask for the woodshed and looking at the 3M 6000 full face and filter set just to be 100%

Often confusing to try and match manufacturer retail codes against HSE grading, but Moldex have a plainspeak guided called Good to Know, especially pages on Gas Filter Classes and Protection Levels and Particulate Filter Protection Levels.

Find hse.gov.uk/EU filter codes on page 45.

That is A2P3.

That is A2P3.

6059 filters only to A1 inorganic and organic vapours, but 5935 does filter to P3. Eye protection as above.

Spanish filter graded B1E1. B1 is fine for inorganic gases and vapours (chlorine, hydrogen sulfide and hydrogen cyanide) and E1 for sulphur dioxide, but these grades are not equivalent to A and P filters for sublimated OA.
Not that confusing I just went into screwfix and gave them the manufacturer’s part numbers and asked if they had them.

ASTM tested E2952 - 17 Standards
Commonality of grading to UK standards would give the consumer confidence, but ASTM E2952 is a US standard which can be accessed only by paying $98, so although it reads impressively, the buyer is none the wiser.

filter grade at P-A-3
This is disengenuous and not quite the same as complying with the UK HSE & EU filter code, in which case it would read A1P2 or A2P3, and so on. The advert does quote CE certification, which is an EU assessment of safety (not UK), and also NIOSH, another US certification of safety. Sounds good, but...

gave them the manufacturer’s part numbers
Anyone new to this game should be able to ask for filters based on the AP rating and not on a manufacturer's model code. Easier for the buyer to cut corners and use an inadequate FFP mask, because they're usually described as such, but commonality of AP labelling would reduce consumer error and increase safety.

Not that confusing
Confused me! (some years ago) :)

Commonality of grading to UK standards would give the consumer confidence, but ASTM E2952 is a US standard which can be accessed only by paying $98, so although it reads impressively, the buyer is none the wiser.

This is disengenuous and not quite the same as complying with the UK HSE & EU filter code, in which case it would read A1P2 or A2P3, and so on. The advert does quote CE certification, which is an EU assessment of safety (not UK), and also NIOSH, another US certification of safety. Sounds good, but...
Agreed but I'm more interested in the ASTM E2952 standard being safe and assume (being Global) and from the USA (they label everything) should be fine for our needs?

So sticking with UK/our certs and being 100% safe (as far as we can trust UK standards) as a gold standard and protecting all, what 3M 6000 and filter standard should we be using?

Cheers

If you have £45 then a bargain more robust vape type pan can be bought from Simon the BK before he closes down or stock disappears.

Anyone new to this game should be able to ask for filters based on the AP rating and not on a manufacturer's model code. Easier for the buyer to cut corners and use an inadequate FFP mask, because they're usually described as such, but commonality of AP labelling would reduce consumer error and increase safety.
In fairness I have more faith in the manufacturers technical department than some spotty scroat behind the counter of my local screw fix😂

Just to add a little more detail to this -

It states filter grade at P-A-3 - P-A-3 Dual Filter Set - Combination Organic Vapor and Particulate Filter - ASTM Tested (Replaces T-61 & PD-101 Masks)
ASTM tested E2952 - 17 Standards (NIOSH certification application pending)

The mask is well made* and seals very well and protects vision, you can swop out the filters for 3M if you wish.
https://parcilsafety.uk/products/pd100-full-face-respirator
*The Moldex mask fell to bits.

I'll be keeping this Chinese mask for the woodshed and looking at the 3M 6000 full face and filter set just to be 100%
That’s what I did in the end. There’s a few sellers on eBay selling the 3m full face for £64 which is much cheaper than most retail places.
Zoro I found was cheapest for the 2off 3m filters and filter retainer.

The other trick i can share if using filters is to store them in an air tight bag, i was told it would significantly extend their usage and life. Mine are nearly 5 years old and still fine although just bought a new set as a treat but this year doing treatments they worked fine.

The other trick i can share if using filters is to store them in an air tight bag, i was told it would significantly extend their usage and life. Mine are nearly 5 years old and still fine although just bought a new set as a treat but this year doing treatments they worked fine.
The combination I use offers the same protection as yours, ABEK1P3. Recommendation for replacement is when breathing becomes difficult for the particulate filter. For the ABEK1 is similar, any trace smell or taste of the substance during use or six month intervals as once opened they are still absorbing. An airtight container may help extend the life.

P represents particle filtration graded 1 to 3. Of these, 3 is the most effective, so this mask would be ideal for dusty DIY.

You must add to it an A filter, for organic gases and vapours, to grade 2. If the Force 8 cannot do both filters, find one that can. Other masks use round filters that stack together.

Check your filtration against the HSE/EU info links at post 22.

Just an FYI..I sent a mail to 3M regarding oxalic use and what they recommended, this is the reply.

“Based on the information provided and without prejudice, I would suggest that you evaluate a 3M 4255+ maintenance free respirator or a 3M SecureClick HF-800 reusable half mask fitted with 3M D8095 filters. Details are available via our website listed below.”

3M Safety Webinars:
This is the model recommended by the manufacturer and available at screw fix.

Actually, this is the mask that I use. I am not cavalier about my health or anyone else's for that matter - the mask is a good quality, comfortable mask to wear and with a P3 filter I have found it more than adequate for use with sublimated OA. It has the following properties:

Hazard Types
  • Solid and liquid particles, including those containing oil.
  • Dusts, mists, and fumes from sanding, grinding, cutting, drilling metal.
  • Mist droplets from spraying.
  • Organic Vapours and Gases.

Things to consider when selecting
  • P3 particulate filter – All particulates including highly toxic materials.
  • P3 filters separates 99.95% of airborne particles.
  • P3 has also an organic vapor relief.
When you consider the vapourisation of OA - it is a vapour only for a very short time before it becomes particulate, you are not (generally) in an enclosed environment and in many cases you will be inside a bee suit with the mask on and if you have any sense you will not be leaning over the hive whilst you are treating them.

I understand the manufacturer's concerns and the risk if they recommend a much higher screening but P3 will adequately capture the OA released whilst, sensibly, using equipment commercially available to beekeepers.

Clearly, you need to be sensible - use the sublimation equipment as it is designed, use the recommended amount of OA (2.5gms) so that you are not generating excessive volumes of vapour and ensure that the minimum amounts of vapour can escape from the hive during treatment. Make sure the mask is well fitted to your face and change the filters as recommended (every 40 hours of use is the standard - or 12 months - although, if you keep them in ziplock bags, clean the outside after use and look after them for the amount of use they get they can last well beyond 12 months.).

You do need additional eye protection - safety glasses are not adequate - you need something that fits with a seal around the edges, these are not expensive - between £5 or £15 will get you a decent mask. If you wear glasses it they may cost you a bit more.

A lot of PPE is dependent upon the wearer exercising a modicum of common sense - your health is important, OA is a noxious substance and you do NOT want to expose your lungs or your eyes to contact with it. If you just have a few hives to treat then, with the caveats above, then £30 will get you adequately protected. If you are treating 50 hives in rapid succession ... I might be inclined to go to a full face model for convenience as much as anything.

The mask is available on Amazon (if you don't mind contributing more to Jeff Beazos fortune and Amazon's rape of the market place) for a little over £20. I'd rather see someone spend £30 on PPE that they can afford than baulk at £80 and risk going without.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ForceTM8-Respirator-Complete-PressToCheckTM-Filters/dp/B00ZCOFHM0
https://www.amazon.co.uk/539169-Pro...986084&sprefix=safety+goggles,aps,119&sr=8-25

Latest posts

Back