Masks/filters for oxalic

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian123

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Just an FYI..I sent a mail to 3M regarding oxalic use and what they recommended, this is the reply.

“Based on the information provided and without prejudice, I would suggest that you evaluate a 3M 4255+ maintenance free respirator or a 3M SecureClick HF-800 reusable half mask fitted with 3M D8095 filters. Details are available via our website listed below.”

3M Safety Webinars:

The information I got when I requested the MSDS from Laif, the manufacturers of Apibioxal, was as below.

Special precautions to be taken by the person administering the medicinal product to animals: Because of possible contact dermatitis and irritation of the skin, eyes and respiratory tract, direct skin and, eye contact and inhalation of the powder should be avoided. When handling the powder (both during vaporisation phase and pre-treatment phases) wear protective mask conforming to European Standard EN149 (type FFP2), gloves and protective glasses. After application, wash hands and the material being in contact with the product with soap and water. In case of skin contact, wash thoroughly the affected area with soap and water. In case of eye contact, wash the eyes thoroughly with copious amounts of clean running water and seek medical advice. Do not inhale. In case of accidental inhalation, breathe fresh air. If the individual has difficulty breathing seek immediate medical advice and show the product label. In case of ingestion, don’t induce vomiting and seek 7 medical advice and show the doctor this warning. Do not eat, drink or smoke while handling the product. Keep out of sight and reach of children.

The full MSDS attached.

Attachments

• Api-Bioxal.pdf
    243.9 KB · Views: 1
I was checking the price of replacement filters yesterday, I have a 6000 series half mask with 6059 + 5935 filters. My only complaint is comfort but that 800 mask might be the answer.

You probably want to consider what the mites are doing first?

Yes, I think there are two questions here really: "Is it harmful?" and "Is it less harmful than varroa?"

I accept the truth of the latter given that OA treatment is widely practised and no-one appears to be complaining that their colonies are all dying as a result. I know people say it's not harmful to the bees at all, but I don't know why that is the case.

Given that humans can and do consume OA because it is present in plants that are commonly eaten such as rhubarb, parsley, spinach and sorrell and that it causes us no apparent harm in "normal" volumes then I assume we can break it down into compounds that are safe, as we can with other chemicals that are toxic in larger volumes. Perhaps a bee has a sufficiently complex body that it can do the same should it ingest small amounts whereas a mite is too small for that. I really have no idea. I'd be surprised if it doesn't get into the bees' bodies though, and interested to know how that is avoided if it is the case.

James

I'd be surprised if it doesn't get into the bees' bodies though, and interested to know how that is avoided if it is the case.
it does get into the bees if you trickle as they will eat the sytup as they clean themselves and yes, it can cause some harm to the bees - which is why the advive has always been to only trickle once a year as it can affect the longevity of the queen.
But with sublimation, the crystals just land on the bees and they groom it off, so ingestion is negligible.

But with sublimation, the crystals just land on the bees and they groom it off, so ingestion is negligible.

I suspect that many or perhaps even most of the crystals formed will be microscopic and may well not get groomed off. It might be interesting to vape an empty hive and take it apart to see what has happened, but I'd guess most of the surfaces might be covered in a layer of OA much thinner than a coat of paint. Surely someone has already tried it. However I think that what actually lands on the bees themselves may not be so much of an issue in the first place. As long as the bee stays dry it could perhaps stay there for the rest of its life without doing any harm. But what happens for example when cells that are empty at the time of vaping and get coated with a thin layer of OA are subsequently filled with nectar? The OA can potentially dissolve into the nectar and be ingested by the bees later. I'd have to assume there are other ways that they can end up taking in the OA too.

Lots of guesswork and assumption there because I really have no clue what happens.

James

I really have no idea. I'd be surprised if it doesn't get into the bees' bodies though, and interested to know how that is avoided if it is the case.

James
My understanding is that mites have sticky feet (made wet from haemolymph) to attach to the bees. So there is a path for the OA to reach the mites' internal organs via their feet. Bees, instead, use hooks to attach to things. OA entering via the bee's alimentary tract can be metabolised to some degree, I suppose, whereas OA gaining access directly to the body cavity of the mite bypasses that defence.

I don't see that either of those really helps. The first only deals with the effects on larvae which is already widely understood to be a problem. The second barely mentions oxalic acid at all.

James
Compare the negative effects OA vs VA, varroa wipes out colonies (Managing Varroa Mites in Honey Bee Colonies)

Effects on larvae are not an issue if the timing is right, even then it'll be minimal.

Anyway the thread is meant to be discussing masks, might be better to fire up another thread.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back