marking queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caught and marked some queens earlier this morning, used a uni-posca PC-8K, 8mm chisel tip pen, nice marker pens and hold a lot of ink if using to mark other things as well.

Last edited:
Caught and marked some queens earlier this morning, used a uni-posca PC-8K, 8mm chisel tip pen, nice marker pens and hold a lot of ink if using to mark other things as well.
I use posca pens for queens which are caught in swarms (which I subsequently replace) but, daughters of my breeder queens all emerge in the incubator and have numbered plastic disks glued to their thorax.
One problem I have noticed is the queen tends to roll onto her side after applying the glue but before I get a chance to apply the disk. I am using the tube marker cage that pushes the foam plunger from below. I wonder if a different cage is called for or if my technique is at fault. Does anyone have experience with these marking cages? http://www.graze.eu/epages/62718690.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62718690/Products/137301

One problem I have noticed is the queen tends to roll onto her side after applying the glue but before I get a chance to apply the disk.

Could you apply the glue to the disk first, then stick it on the queen?

Could you apply the glue to the disk first, then stick it on the queen?
That might work. I've been using Superglue this year and I don't want to risk getting any on the virgin queens wings (I had problems with the disk falling off in previous years when I used that shellac glue that is sold for this purpose).
I was using a micropipette to apply the glue but a No 7 insect pin seems to do a much better job. Its long enough to handle and has a rounded head so it holds enough glue to do the job without spreading it everywhere.
My problem wasn't so much getting the disk on but stopping the queen from trying to turn on her side

Last edited:
That might work. I've been using Superglue this year and I don't want to risk getting any on the virgin queens wings (I had problems with the disk falling off in previous years when I used that shellac glue that is sold for this purpose).
I was using a micropipette to apply the glue but a No 7 insect pin seems to do a much better job. Its long enough to handle and has a rounded head so it holds enough glue to do the job without spreading it everywhere.
My problem wasn't so much getting the disk on but stopping the queen from trying to turn on her side

doesn't super glue get quite hot as it cures

Fish bladder glue is what we use, normally used in the manufacture of violins and such.

Sticks like the proverbial to a blanket

When I used to number my queens I used Umbrol paint as glue to stick the disc on so if the number got chewed off I can find the queen easily as the paint remains on her thorax.

When I used to number my queens I used Umbrol paint as glue to stick the disc on so if the number got chewed off I can find the queen easily as the paint remains on her thorax.
Did you number them before mating or after? Before I started using the opilath plates I tried various paints but they would wear off during mating.

Dead head scissors are cheap and work well for clipping.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Herbies-Purple-Garden-Deadheading-Snips/dp/B004E1XP7G"]Herbies Purple Garden Deadheading Snips: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors[/ame]

Latest posts

Back