MAQS, do you still need to use Oxalic ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffin dodger

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3 of my own + 2 shared
Hi All,

Visited my local supplier today and bought MAQS for my hives, I asked if you still need to use oxalic acid as you would do with Apiguard, he didn't know, so has anyone any idea wether you still need to treat with oxalic or not ?
Regards
CD

Sorry I have no idea but would say that oxalic is not compulsory following thymol.

MAQS on 22nd August.
I had bee inspector round today and we were discussing general low varroa levels. I will not be using Oxalic.
Next year i think I will use MAQS much earlier....say July.... which will give me a chance to re-queen in the face of treatment mishap.

Not used oxalic in the winter for at least five years. Not needed to avoid winter colony loss, and likely avoided same by not using it. Just have to be a little more 'on the ball' during the next season, that is all.

Difficult for many but relatively simple for those that actually observe and assess the varroa loadings.

RAB

Like I said on another thread, there has been a long thread on bee l about MAQ's and there appears to be some doubt about the mite kill in cells as mite numbers seem to rise after treatment as new cells open, I am not using it but just sharing what the Americans are saying and they have had them longer than us

I will be using oxalic by evaporation as usual. Knocking a few more varroa down during the relatively dormant part of the year is being just plain sensible imho. Never found adverse effect on q or workers by doing so, providing never done later than NY.

Hi All,

Visited my local supplier today and bought MAQS for my hives, I asked if you still need to use oxalic acid as you would do with Apiguard, he didn't know, so has anyone any idea wether you still need to treat with oxalic or not ?
Regards
CD

The answer to your question should depend on what level of varroa infestation you discover in early winter.

As usual with bees, the answer is "It depends."

Personally, I think that midwinter Oxalic is a very cheap, very safe method of minimising varroa's impact on your colony for the maximum time ahead.
And I think that a "summer" treatment should aim to minimise the varroa load suffered during the brood-raising of 'winter bees' that need to be in good health many months after their emergence. The winter bees have to be able to do lots of work in the Spring!

I also feel that delaying MAQS is the wrong (well, not the best) way to use it.
Better to use it earlier, before wasp bother, while supers are on and while mating new queens would be most likely to be successful.
Just as long as the temperature is under 30C ...

Latest posts

Back