Many going to the National Honey Show?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah great. You’ll be able to have a decent chin wag without the pressure of having to queue with hundreds of others for a selfie 😉

I'd love to have seen Mike Palmer but Northumberland is a long way to come from, and I'm not convinced Sarah Wyndham Lewis' talk is one I'd want to see - i bought her book (I was a bookseller in an indie bookshop so I bought EVERY new bee book :p ) and she was advocating hives near cemeteries on the basis that the cut flowers people leave at graves would provide lots of nectar...

no, when he comes to Symonds Yat for the BFA meeting
So jealous EMYR (I learned, finally!) I'm 36. I've seen Leonard Cohen live several times, Mark Knopfler, Bruce Springsteen and John Martyn. Touched Nick Cave's skeletal finger when he jumped into the crowd and tried to turn Mumford and Sons away from the Green Room area at a festival as I didn't know them. Did events with Atwood, Walliams, Keegan yada yada at work and never got starstruck like everyone else as people are just people. But meeting Mike Palmer.... doesn't beat the first time I saw Leonard, but hell, it's pretty close to all the others! We're an odd bunch, we beekeepers, awed by a Vermont Beekeeper (love the talk about Charles Mraz and the other competing guy) and unimpressed by Booker winners. This is normal 36yr old behaviour... right? :p

This is normal 36yr old behaviour... right? :p
Beekeeping isn't normal
Maybe it's even funny ......watching Have I Got News for You one night the BBKA mag hit the Guest Publication spot to roars of laughter from the audience

Beekeeping isn't normal
Maybe it's even funny ......watching Have I Got News for You one night the BBKA mag hit the Guest Publication spot to roars of laughter from the audience
I got the same sort of derision when Car Park News featured. (I ran a company refurbishing Multi-storey car parks for over 25 years) 🤣

.watching Have I Got News for You one night the BBKA mag hit the Guest Publication spot to roars of laughter from the audience
The BBKA has that effect on many a serious beekeeper

I’ve been to Symonds Yat. There was a lot of Chaffinches there.

I'll be there Saturday. Interested in looking at Oxalic treatment options, and will pick up some BB frames.
And I want to have a gander at the Abelo 12-framer.

Last edited:
Go on. Why the "Oh no"?
You have 11-frame National; the Abelo 12-frame National is incompatible: bigger footprint, interlocking lips between parts. If you want to start again, go ahead, but don't run two systems because commonality of kit is essential for efficient operation; you have 5 colonies now but may have 55 in two years.

If a colony needs space, give it another box, not another frame.

You have 11-frame National; the Abelo 12-frame National is incompatible: bigger footprint, interlocking lips between parts. If you want to start again, go ahead, but don't run two systems because commonality of kit is essential for efficient operation; you have 5 colonies now but may have 55 in two years.

If a colony needs space, give it another box, not another frame.
You're absolutely right, Eric. Thank you for the cold splash of water to the face.
83iw22.jpg

Latest posts

Back