Making thin foundation for cut comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kbs ? I hear what your all saying foundationless is ok but it also slows down extracting time I am already a third foundation less with super frames , I think for all the hassle I’m going to look into getting our wax milled .
At work we are set up to possibly make frames / boxes .
Why does foundationless slow down extractng ? I've been foundationless since the day I started beekeeping ... makes no difference to extraction.

" I hear what your all saying foundationless is ok but it also slows down extracting time I am already a third foundation less with super frames , I think for all the hassle I’m going to look into getting our wax milled ."
Well you can’t extract frames at the same speed as wired foundation comb you have to start it slower or am I missing something here.

Well you can’t extract frames at the same speed as wired foundation comb you have to start it slower or am I missing something here.
I always start slowly and then increase the speed of the extractor as it balances and the honey starts to spin out. I don't wire my foundation free super frames and I can't remember the last one that blew out - even partially drawn frames survive,

I don't think it's the speed of the extractor as much as the time you spin them until you get to the last few drops. But - once it's loaded (and my Lega takes 15 frames) I set the initial speed and get on with something else. I increase the speed when it sounds right. I finish the extraction at full speed. I can't see how it should be any different to wired foundation or take more time ?

Indeed, I'm not sure there is a need for wired super foundation ..it just costs more then unwired ... although I'm happy being foundation free. I have a foundation press and loads of wax and I keep threatening to make some of my own sheets - perhaps this winter ?

Evening just wondering what folk are using to make thin foundation for cut comb possibly a 1000 sheets .
Thanks
Personally I cut all combs out leaving only a couple of centimetres of their previous comb made by themselves. I dislike eating the rib caused by manufactured wax, and I do not wish my Customers to eat that either. I used to get told that this was quality cut comb not quantity, however I believe there is no contest, my sections too are painted with their own wax and it works great for me. Entirely up to the individual I believe, as I think you must go with whatever suits yourself. Homemade foundation has always been too thick in my opinion for Comb Honey, well any I have seen.

yeah that was my thought , work are wanting me to be more sustainable emyr , I’ve said before we are going down the biodynamic farming road as part of this equipment or as much as I can will be made here same as feeding I will be getting to the stage where I don’t feed sugar or at all which means feeding honey .
my own operation at home on the clee won’t be the same but some of the principles if will up hold there also.

I would like to get to the stage where I don’t treat for varroa mite .
All of the traits to look for of bees managing their own varroa populations are covered on the website: www.varroaresistant.uk
together with the scientific research papers and illustrative images. If you have used your own bees over the years, the hygienic traits should be observable.

I (or rather my bees) do cut comb, I just put in an empty frame between drawn frames and the bees do the rest. I'm not sure I'd want to sell cut comb if I'd used bought foundation. I know thornes do some special foundation at crazy prices, but I feel better telling customers that the whole cut comb was made by the bees without any messing about by me.

I've never produced cut comb (not really sure where/how to store it before selling) but if I did, I'd do it foundation-less also. It's my understanding that the hives have to be perfectly level otherwise the comb follows gravity while the frame is off at an angle. Is this correct?

It's my understanding that the hives have to be perfectly level otherwise the comb follows gravity while the frame is off at an angle. Is this correct?
allegedly, but I've never found that to be the case, as long as you have frames and not go top bar only another one for the BBKABBBKB&B I think

Reactions: Ely
I've never produced cut comb (not really sure where/how to store it before selling) but if I did, I'd do it foundation-less also. It's my understanding that the hives have to be perfectly level otherwise the comb follows gravity while the frame is off at an angle. Is this correct?
If you want to store it simply put it in the freezer, I’d generally feed all into the freezer first to kill any moths. If you have the room it’s simply wrapped boxes straight in, if your pushed for space cut up and put in cartons although you can get a little condensation.

If you want to store it simply put it in the freezer, I’d generally feed all into the freezer first to kill any moths. If you have the room it’s simply wrapped boxes straight in, if your pushed for space cut up and put in cartons although you can get a little condensation.
Yeah I found that out for myself you’ll be surprised where wax moth can hide as I only have a chest freezer I’ve cut up as much as possible into cartons and frozen .
How could I store the rest flash freeze the frames for two days or so then cut up and put into containers store in a cellar?
Buy another chest freezer I suppose which would have to go out side in a barn ?

How could I store the rest flash freeze the frames for two days or so then cut up and put into containers store in a cellar?
If you do that the temperature will be just right for it all to crystallise
The point of putting it in the freezer is to stop that ( as well as dealing with wax moth )

If you do that the temperature will be just right for it all to crystallise
The point of putting it in the freezer is to stop that ( as well as dealing with wax moth )
I’m going to need another freezer then

Latest posts

Back