Making syrup with icing sugar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baggyone

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I can get some icing sugar at a very good price so am wondering can I make my winter syrup up with it? Does the anti caking additive have any adverse effects?

Thanks

Baggy

Never seen Icing sugar cheaper than regular granulated!

It shouldn't be a problem.
You can also mix it (powerful mixer advised) with a smidgeon of water to make fondant.

My worry would mainly be as to WHY it should be so cheap.
If there's any hint of contamination rendering it 'unfit for human consumption' then I'd decline the 'generous' offer.
Past its "sell by date" and I'd grab it. (Sugar doesn't go off if decently stored ...)

No don't use it, there are things in it that are not good for the bees buy normal white sugar.

I can get some icing sugar at a very good price so am wondering can I make my winter syrup up with it? Does the anti caking additive have any adverse effects?

Thanks

Baggy

Normal white cane sugar often has animal bone in it ( not beet sugar) bet you didn't know that. !!!

Normal white cane sugar often has animal bone in it ( not beet sugar) bet you didn't know that. !!!

Intrigued, why? and no I didnt know it, glad (I think) i usually use brown sugar (for us, not the bees).

Back