Lyson extractor cleaning

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Repwoc

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
>6
Just unpacked my new Lyson extractor and now I'm trying to dismantle it for cleaning. To get the frame basket out it's necessary first to remove the large pulley. The pulley is fixed to the shaft by an Allen bolt that passes through a nut.

ExtractorPullyBoltFE.jpg

I haven't been able to loosen the Allen bolt. I have a key the right size but it's too tight for me to turn it, even with a spanner on the Allen key. I'm not sure if the nut is welded to the pulley or if it's a lock nut. If it's a lock nut there's not much room to get a spanner in to loosen it.

I presume it's just me and everyone else with Lyson extractors managed to dismantle them without hassle like this. Is it necessary to loosen the nut (if it's not welded) or does the Allen bolt just come out normally?

I've managed to loosen the lock nut, but the Allen bolt is still locked solid.

Just had this issue myself - looks like same model. What I did was to back the lock nut right off and up to the Allen bolt head then kept undoing it with a spanner this brought the Allen bolt out as well.
Hardest part was lining it up to screw it back in.
Next clean I think the cage will stay in. Quick tip make sure the belt is in the right place before tightening everything up. I reassembled mine only to discover the drive belt was wrong side of the shaft.

Back