Question for those with Giordan Extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alabamaeee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Just acquired a Giordan 8 frame drill driven extractor S/H. Apparently no instructions came with it, and whilst it's easy to work how how it works, what I'd really like is to know how others have taken it apart to clean it?

Looking at it I could remove the top blue bar and probably lift the complete cage out and then disconnect the motor from the Blue top bar using an allen key. Probably there is an easier way to do dismantle for cleaning but not worked it out yet :)

Also what type of bearing is in the bottom of the extractor, is it a ball bearing on the shaft or a sealed bearing?

I have the same extractor and have stripped it down a couple of times.

Your correct, top bar off then couple of Allen key screws. The cage sits into a grove with a rubber gromit greased with food grade grease.

I wouldn't take it apart unless you have good reason too. You won't clean it any. better taking it apart.

I have the same extractor and have stripped it down a couple of times.

Your correct, top bar off then couple of Allen key screws. The cage sits into a grove with a rubber gromit greased with food grade grease.

I wouldn't take it apart unless you have good reason too. You won't clean it any. better taking it apart.

mine just sits in the groove on a ball bearing greased.... I haven't ever seen a rubber gromit ??? where mine is I don't know

Mine sits on one ball bearing at the base. Use food grade grease or a little olive oil, a little olive oil. You wont get the honey up that far or at least you shouldnt! I also put a tiny bit on the top bearing come sleeve as it can get hot. Make sure the belt is in line as it can shed tiny bits off also.
Sounds like you are taking it apart the correct way. They are a great little machine......if you have a good drill. The Aldi one is superb for the job and 3 years warranty when they have them in.
Enjoy :)

Thanks for the replies, seems like I'll just wash it out intact then ;) I will dismantle it initially to check the bearing and clean everything while I am at it.

Seems a bit difficult to turn by hand but I'm guessing that is the resistance of the drive and drill.

With the way my bees are working on OSR this last week it won't have to wait long to get the first frames :)

Mine is pretty easy to turn? Just check the grub screw holding the drill on is not too tight and crushing the outer case of the drill shaft? Maybe your drill is braked?

The drill is the one supplied with the extractor. Stops very quickly so maybe it does have a braking action.

Latest posts

Back