- Oct 16, 2012
- Reaction score
- Fareham, Hampshire UK
- Hive Type
- Number of Hives
Other thoughts, use carriage bolts from the top, with nyloc nuts. The domed head will give a bit more clearance, then there's screws from the castor side. Final thought is I've seen loads of people use the bolt to cut a thread in the wood itself, if the application isn't too stressful, say if you've a fairly smooth floor that might work. Re-enforce the threads with superglue perhaps?Yes ... I have some T nuts and I did think about that option ... but they sit a little proud of the surface and so i would have to recess them and the bolts I had would have to be cut down - more measuring - and it all got too complicated ! There comes a point where it's more expedient to cut your losses, learn from the mistake and do the job properly ! Good idea on your part though ... T-nuts are incredibly useful ...
Commiserations about the mismatch between the doorway and the mobile extractor. You have made a neat frame for the castors. If you had not fitted them, it might still have been a two-person job to get the extractor through the doorway.One small problem ... it would not go through the kitchen door with the wheels on...
Lega can't seem to make up their mind about leg shape: I have a 9-frame Lega with the same red angled legs as Philip, but Lega also supply them blue and straight and now a weird red curved version.There is one advantage to those splayed legs, mind. You don't have to keep taking it in and out of the kitchen till you've finished the job.
Think laterally, widen the doorsThanks everyone ... yes the legs are splayed about 2" too wide to get through a 'normal' door - I can get it through the front door which is a bit wider but it's the internal doors that cause the problem. They were not red originally - they were plain passivated steel but had surface rust at the bottom so I rubbed them down and resprayed them red to match the rest of the extractor. They are really heavy duty, not like the this pressed steel you get on a lot of extractors these day .. no chance of bending them.
Without the casters it's too heavy for me to move on my own - the only way it to 'walk' it along by pivoting on alternate legs - it's a bit of a beast.
There are also no hand holds to get hold of the thing when you want to lift it to tilt it ... My next job (perhaps not this week !!) is to design and fit some folding handles that will sit inside the U-channel of the legs when not in use and hinge out to a horizontal position when they are needed .. perhaps with some sort of simple (split pin ) arrangement to keep them in place when in use.
On a plus side ... with the casters on and frames in it it doesn't move very much when spinning, it's very stable .. it rotates slowly pivoting around its central access but I've seen extractors that are like untamed bulls when you set them going. I didn't make any effort to balance the frames out in the extractor they just went in in the order they came out of the supers ... I could probably reduce the 'travel' if I had thought of that.
I only had it up to full speed once and I blew one partially drawn but honey filled frame out - it had spun out but was obviously not that firmly attached .. It didn't really appear necesssary to push it to the limit as two thirds speed was enough to dry the frames. It has a reverse and I spun the frames both ways.
Apart from the slight disadvantage of having to partially dismantle it to get it through the door and the lack of handholds ... really pleased with it. Now ... phase 2 of extraction needs to be finished today or I fear it's going to be reasonable grounds for divorce in the household !
Handles - Something like this ? might work . Create or buy.Thanks everyone ... .............snip.....
There are also no hand holds to get hold of the thing when you want to lift it to tilt it ... My next job (perhaps not this week !!) is to design and fit some folding handles that will sit inside the U-channel of the legs when not in use and hinge out to a horizontal position when they are needed .. perhaps with some sort of simple (split pin ) arrangement to keep them in place when in use..............snip............
Haha - dies laughing !Think laterally, widen the doors
That's a good idea ... it would be an easy fix, cut the existing bracket off the grab handle, drill holes and put a bolt through the U-channel of the leg then thread the handle onto the bolt. Simples ...