Low store and possible dry brood?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beanbag

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I took on my first nuc of bees just under two weeks ago. Left them for a couple of days then settled them into a National, with no super (after my post about the frame runners -all sorted now, and looking for a home of anyone wants four of them!). I then went on holiday for a week and today was the first chance I had to have a good look inside since coming home.

The bees haven't done much with the foundation frames either side of the frames they came on, a little comb drawn out, but not much.

So, working through the frames one by one the first thing I noticed was a lack of good store. Honey was dripping, but no capped food. There was a fair amount of capped brood (mixed), grubs in different stages and eggs.

The bottom of the egg cells looked quite dry.

Queen spotted - no queen cells.

I'm assuming this is because of the June gap (feel bad for not anticipating and being more proactive and feeding before leaving), so have put in a top feeder with a sugar water syrup on the crown board, and also another on a surface outside the hive.

They have had a full bird bath close to the hive with rocks etc in since I've had them, but have moved it even closer now!

Is this enough, do I need to consider pollen supplements, and if so where would I get them? How quickly should things turn around with the addition of the food?

They weren't as angry as I expecting them to be so assume they're maybe not as hungry as I first thought, but have no experience to compare angry to not angry really!

Any advice, ideas or reassurance is welcome! :thanks:

If there is honey there then they have something to eat and not hungry.

First thing: How many frames bees cover and how much they have extra space.
Bottom of egg cells are always dry.

If colony occupy 5 frames, it should have 1 frame full of stores.

I think that weathers have been so cold and rainy, that bees have not got nectar from flowers.

Perhaps hive is cold . Too much space and meshfloor open or upper hole open .... I do know

:yeahthat:
Don't panic Captain Mainwaring!

Absolutely no need for pollen supplements at this time of year, (or any for that matter).

Don't expect too much, they will do want they want to in their own time.

They are still alive so they haven't starved, you have now fed them, they will be fine.

Last edited:
Thank you, that's such a relief to hear!

They are on 5 - 5 1/2 frames, but certainly not a full frame of store.

The weather has been good (a couple of wet days) and sunny, I have an enclosed floor so I'm sure they're not cold, a lot have been hanging round the door even into later evening, so on the warm side if anything.

I'm still loathe to swap the door for a larger one as they are still a small colony and will struggle to defend a larger opening.

I guess my water source is very much like the flowers in my garden; non existent as far as they are concerned! They must be finding some from somewhere.

Just re-read your OP.

Don't leave an open feeder outside the hive. All you will do is encourage other colonies to come and rob!

A feeder on top is all you need.

But if bees cover 5 frames, how many frames the hive has alltogether?

Bees forage on average at the distance of 2 km.

Cool, will get rid of that then, they're ignoring it anyway!

They have 11 in all, 5 in the middle, three either side, with the first side of the new three starting to be drawn out.

There are a lot of bees, so kind of surprised they hadn't done more, but like you said, I guess they'll do want they want when they want, I've just given them the space to do it in?

Ok.you have half too much space. You must restrict the space to the frames what bees can keep warm.

Put extra wall into the box and leave 5 frames to the bees..

I really don't think they're cold though. It is very sunny here and has been for the last week or so (we had a couple of wet days Friday and Saturday, but dry and warm now). Normally they all 'go to bed' at 6-7pm, but have seen them out until 8-9pm in the last couple of days. Lots of fanning at door too.

I would be worried about reducing space re swarming?

How will they expand if there's not the space to?

I really don't think they're cold though. It is very sunny here and has been for the last week or so (we had a couple of wet days Friday and Saturday, but dry and warm now). Normally they all 'go to bed' at 6-7pm, but have seen them out until 8-9pm in the last couple of days. Lots of fanning at door too.

I would be worried about reducing space re swarming?

How will they expand if there's not the space to?

My 50 y experience against your feelings... Ok then.

They expand when they get new bees after 4weeks. So they do and then you give more frames.

Last edited:
I'm not doubting your experience, just trying to explain what's going on in my garden when I live in the South West of England and you are in Scandinavia!

The last two sentences I wrote were questions, not statements.

I'll just leave it there I think.

My 50 y experience against your feelings... Ok then.

They expand when they get new bees after 4weeks. So they do and then you give more frames.

Finman.......why dont you get older?

You had 50 years experience 6 years ago...not worthy

Finman.......why dont you get older?

You had 50 years experience 6 years ago...not worthy

Maybe he has not been experiencing beekeeping for the past 6 years. maybe all you doubters were right. He doesn't have bees! Busted!
:icon_204-2:
Sorry finny Couldnt resist!

Sorry finny Couldnt resist!

Resist what? I really dont understand what you are going go say.

Me either cannot resist laugh when my hive on balance brings 170 kg honey in 6 weeks.

Last edited:
Back