No brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeb

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I unexpectedly lost my only colony very early this year, I think a hard late frost got them as they had lots of food and had come through winter seemingly strong and healthy.
Anyway, when I went back to get the supers which were full, I discovered a swarm had moved in, what luck! They were doing well over the summer but when I looked today, there is no brood at all, no eggs, larvae or capped. The Queen is still there along with plenty of bees but they have used neay all stores up and have very little now.
Any information on what might have happened would be gratefully received.

lack of food will lead to a brood break, although they should have filled up with stores by now when did you treat them for varroa? how much feed have you given them?

Any information on what might have happened would be gratefully received.
Summer has been a washout in most places with bees gathering little nectar. They have just run out of food. When did you last look in and are you managing them in any way?

hard late frost got them as they had lots of food and had come through winter seemingly strong and healthy.
Frost won't kill a strong colony with food on board.

What & when did you treat for varroa, last year and this?

when I went back to get the supers which were full
Why did you leave the supers on during winter? The boxes should match colony size at that time of year.

today, there is no brood at all, no eggs, larvae or capped
Brood break most likely due to lack of incoming nectar. Trouble is, the queen has been off-lay for at least 3 weeks and the colony will miss the winter bees that would have been born.

they have used neay all stores up and have very little now.
Are you feeding?

Brood break most likely due to lack of incoming nectar. Trouble is, the queen has been off-lay for at least 3 weeks and the colony will miss the winter bees that would have been born.
Might he get away with its as the existing bees have had no brood to look after?

@Zeb we need a little more info to help you and your bees

Did a late inspection today.

Stores good.
Some old sealed brood.
No larvae.
15-20 fresh eggs on one frame only.
2022 Queen.

I noticed at last inspection that her laying was slowing, but this seems very low now.

I’m assuming it’s just a brood break?

Or should I unite with another hive?

I’m assuming it’s just a brood break?

Or should I unite with another hive?
The winter bees have been made
Queen will just be ticking over till spring.
This is perfectly normal
No need to be looking in this late. Leave them alone

why inspect at this time of year, all I do is heft (or weigh) to see if they are heavy enough to get through winter, I haven't opened my hives since August BH when I took off the Formic Pro. I know most of my hives are broodless how do I know is because I put the varroa boards in for a few days and looked at the debris. Learn to see the difference between brood capping and store capping, Wax flakes and Robed wax cappings

It's way past the time for fiddling now, In fact I've barely opened a hive since September. It's November, the laying rate goes right down
I don’t normally inspect this late. Had to remove an apiguard tray, and just had a quick look while there.

I don’t normally inspect this late. Had to remove an apiguard tray, and just had a quick look while there.
Bees will respond to weather and available forage. Some years brood rearing will continue till the end of November to some extent, if they can get out and forage on the ivy the queen will continue laying.
Quite frankly the weather at the moment has been poor for a few weeks so the bees will adjust accordingly.

Sometimes the Queen will stop laying during varroa treatment.
You said you were removing the apiguard, which could the situation.
One good reason not to leave varroa treatment too late into the season.

Would you care to describe the differences in appearance of these particles of debris on the board?
Actually, the answer I've just got from ChatGPT is not bad, IMO:

Here's a description of the appearance of these different types of debris:
  1. Brood Cappings:
    • Brood cappings are the protective coverings that honeybees use to seal the cells containing developing bee larvae.
    • They typically appear as small, flattened, and tan to dark brown oval-shaped pieces.
    • Brood cappings may have a slightly textured or waxy surface and are often darker in color compared to other debris.
  2. Store Cappings:
    • Store cappings are similar in appearance to brood cappings but are used to seal cells containing stored honey, pollen, or other resources.
    • They are also tan to dark brown, oval-shaped pieces, and they may have a somewhat waxy or smooth texture.
  3. Wax Flakes:
    • Wax flakes are small, irregularly shaped, and often translucent or whitish in color.
    • These flakes are typically small fragments of beeswax, which bees produce and use to build comb and seal cells.
    • Wax flakes may vary in size, but they are generally smaller and more irregular compared to cappings.
  4. Robbed Wax Cappings:
    • Robbed wax cappings are cappings that have been torn or damaged by other bees from different hives or intruders trying to steal honey resources.
    • They can have a more ragged or torn appearance compared to intact brood or store cappings.
    • The color and texture of robbed cappings may vary, but they often resemble damaged or disrupted wax structures.
The appearance of these debris types can vary depending on factors such as the age of the cappings, the condition of the comb, and the specific characteristics of the hive. Beekeepers often use the debris on the board under the open mesh floor as an indicator of hive health and activity, as it can provide insights into the condition of the brood, the presence of pests, and the overall state of the hive.

Actually, the answer I've just got from ChatGPT is not bad, IMO:
I think #2 is a pretty poor description as it only vaguely describes stores in the brood nest directly next to the brood

I think #2 is a pretty poor description as it only vaguely describes stores in the brood nest directly next to the brood
It would be good if you could improve on that description, please. I keep boards in always and check and clean at every inspection, but I'm all to aware how little I can really interpret.

It would be good if you could improve on that description, please. I keep boards in always and check and clean at every inspection, but I'm all to aware how little I can really interpret.
Stores cappings, especially winter stores cappings because they don't get much footfall from the bees (unlike brood cappings) are much lighter, almost white and can quite easily be distinguished from the darker brood cappings

Latest posts

Back