Lots of bees in flood water?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will_esp

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Just been to check my hives as the flood waters have come up around our property and it has been the first day without rain for a while. The hives and bees were fine yesterday but today there is a lot of bees floating around both hives, some dead, some alive, must be several hundred bees in the water.
The water is at its highest and the hives are about 2' above the water which is about 3" deep by the hives.
Has anyone got any idea what has gone on as there seems to be a lot of bees in the water?

They will be the ones that didn't quite make it to the entrance.
Often they rest on the ground then fly up and get home only this time there's no ground, only water :(

As you say, first half-decent day for a while, so lots of orientation flights.

I've previously remarked on the number of cadet pilots that crash, upside down, on a shiny hive roof. I think they are fooled by the reflection of the sky and get confused as to which way is up.

Sounds to me like lots of novice pilots "went for a Burton" ... and ended up in the drink, confused by the reflection of the sky on the floodwater.
Other than shutting them in, which is a bit drastic, I'm not sure there's much you can do - until it comes time to load up the ark and "head for the hills".

Back