Lost Gardens go Native

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to invent more conspiracy theorys.... makes beekeeping interesting!

Mytten da

You mean like national associations backing one type of bee and indoctrinating new members to do the same ?
Like this then ...
'
The WBKA aims to encourage its affiliated Beekeeping Associations (and their individual
members) to become self-sufficient for new colonies and queens using locally adapted
breeding stock. "

http://www.wbka.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Locally-Adapted-Bees.pdf

Don't need to invent them they already exist.
Look at the BBKA breeding certificate....unless you keep and breed mongrel bees you fail it.
Ask B+ he did

For anyone who missed the story (https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=39682)

In a nutshell, I was part of the pilot programme for the BBBKA Bee Breeders Certificate.
I was the first candidate examined. As the letter showed, I impressed the examiners but failed ONLY because I bred carnica (https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=604494&postcount=12).
IMHO that means the certificate isn't a measure of whether someone can breed bees. It's more of a political endorsement that you keep bees (or mongrels) that the BBKA approves of.
This was discussed in quite a lot of detail at the time. Needless to say, I cancelled my membership after this fiasco.

Last edited:
Or perhaps Uncle Betty should read the constitution of his own national beekeeping association which clearly states it exists

"To promote the conservation of the native dark bee, apis mellifera mellifera"
https://sites.google.com/site/mayob...itution PDF April 2017.pdf?attredirects=0&d=1

We'll have to assume for now this ignorance from uncle betty is an endemic stupidity rather than something more general or a deliberate attempt to obfuscate, despite that being a paradigmatic of his ilk.

Or perhaps Uncle Betty should read the constitution of his own national beekeeping association which clearly states it exists

https://sites.google.com/site/mayob...itution PDF April 2017.pdf?attredirects=0&d=1

It's funny that you should mention that SDM as I was just re-reading my local associations Constitution. It contains no reference to any particular race of honeybee yet officers regularly use their position (and control of the microphone at agm's) to voice their personal views. I'm not sure that I would go so far as to say that was unconstitutional, but, it is certainly taking advantage of their position and overstepping their authority.
I also had a quick look through the BBKA constitution (https://archive.-------------/files...ution_2014_master_june_in_word_1404741773.pdf) and found no reference to any race of bee. I, therefore, assume that the education committee are also straying from their remit in insisting on Amm types.
Since I am no longer a member of the BBKA, I can't do anything about that but I will certainly challenge anyone in my local association who expresses a preference from the chair.

I have no problems with people wanting to keep black bees, white bees or yellow bees. Or even tartan bees.
I strongly object to people trying to influence my choice of bee without any independent evidence their recommendations will be better than what I already have. And treat such utterances with the contempt such utterances deserve.

We'll have to assume for now this ignorance from uncle betty is an endemic stupidity rather than something more general or a deliberate attempt to obfuscate, despite that being a paradigmatic of his ilk.

You're a liar.

I have explicitly referred to that aim in the past...

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=627353&postcount=9

And as I told YOU of all people...

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=627477&postcount=49

And your reply...

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=627482&postcount=52

The FIBKA constitution states (my emphasis) -

''In general to undertake all measures to promote the welfare of beekeepers and beekeeping.''

That is not overridden in any way by the commitment to Amm.

So your statement that...

...clearly states it exists

... is misleading by it's omission. Obfuscation, indeed.

In practice, and we could be cynical about why, the FIBKA monthly magazine regularly has adverts for Buckfast bees.

That is how it is.

Last edited:
In practice, and we could be cynical about why, the FIBKA monthly magazine regularly has adverts for Buckfast bees.
No cynicism involved just pragmatic cash. Our BBKA magazine does the same, preaches local but advertises exotics.

Betty,
To date you have been nothing but a failure at everything you have attempted, education, employment and relationships. When there was an opportunity to discuss your views at Gormanston you took evasive action as detailed in another post. Now in desperation you cling to the coat tails of the AMM brigade and desperate to have some purpose in life and in an attempt to validify idle and empty days you troll and attempt to be antagonistic. You present yourself as an authority on beekeeping, the most you have done is managed to keep bees alive for a short time and listened to propaganda and got your inspiration on how to be noticed.......try and get a decent job instead. Do send me plenty of PM's.......I enjoy deleting them unread.;)

''In general to undertake all measures to promote the welfare of beekeepers and beekeeping.''

For the avoidance of doubt, the relevant section reads:

"3. The objects of the Federation shall be:
a) To support the Beekeepers of Ireland for their mutual benefit.
b) To encourage and participate in research in problems of Apiculture and generally to foster
efficient beekeeping, honey production and marketing.
c) To co-operate with the State and Public Authorities in all matters affecting the industry.
d) To provide helpful educational facilities through inter alia:
i. The publication of An Beachaire (The Irish Beekeeper)
ii. The publication of informative leaflets
iii. The promoting and holding of community lectures
iv. Conducting examinations in the science of apiculture and the art of beekeeping.
e) In general to undertake all measures to promote the welfare of beekeeping and
Beekeepers in Ireland.
f) To promote the conservation of the native dark bee, apis mellifera mellifera."

Perhaps there was no intention to indicate preference by stating the conservation of Amm last, but, it is there. It could also be that others prefer to see it as the main purpose for the organisations existence. Who are we to know?
The thing that I find most disturbing is the animosity shown by its advocates and how they see their rights as being more important than their neighbours right to choose. This is undemocratic (just a short step from dictatorship) and, as such, we should all stand against it no matter what our preferences are.

Last edited:
f) To promote the conservation of the native dark bee, apis mellifera mellifera."

So your statement that...
... is misleading by it's omission. Obfuscation, indeed.

Always read the small print dearie....

The aims of the federation are neither in ascending nor descending order.

Members of the federation keep bees other than Amm without let or hindrance.

I think my local association have joined the rebel alliance - The Irish Bee Keepers Association CLG.

Their mission statement is:

OUR MISSION STATEMENT
To be Open, Fair and Transparent in all Our Actions for Our Members and to promote Beekeeping for all Beekeepers.
We hope to create an environment of mutual respect and understanding, so that no beekeeper ever feels marginalised or ostracised because of the type of bee they keep.

I think my local association have joined the rebel alliance - The Irish Bee Keepers Association CLG.

Their mission statement is:

OUR MISSION STATEMENT
To be Open, Fair and Transparent in all Our Actions for Our Members and to promote Beekeeping for all Beekeepers.
We hope to create an environment of mutual respect and understanding, so that no beekeeper ever feels marginalised or ostracised because of the type of bee they keep.

And quite right too. Nothing to disagree with there.

To be fair, the breakaway group seems to have been more about their veiled hints of financial irregularity, and discontent with the executive. There's a bit of self-importance involved too, as always.

That's the root of the 'open, fair, and transparent' bit.

Both organisations have members who keep the type of bees they wish to.

A good consequence is that FIBKA has had to have serious look at itself.

Oh Betty , I do hope we meet one day.
You'll get a chance to retract you accusation of lying....
Briefly.
I didn't include the rest of the document because it isn't relevant, but I did provide a link to the entire document thus rubbishing your accusations of obfuscation. You on the other hand provide a link to someone else's comments on DNA markers claiming that it clarifies FIBKA 's inclusiveness. Perhaps rather than your own clearly inadequate attempt, you could just provide a link to where FIBKA is clear about it.
Certainly as the subject is now given special mention by some associations in Ireland, nobody else finds it clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back