Looking into joining the world of beekeeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grail

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi everyone, I’ve been thinking about keeping bees for a while, and have now started reading bits and watching videos, by my understanding I’m a little late to begin now, but this will give me time to educate myself and try get everything ready for spring, I’ve read a few posts on here and you all sound eager to help the new beekeepers. One thing I’ve read on here is a book that has been recommended but maybe a little dated Haynes manual of bookkeeping, is there a more upto date book you could recommend. Thanks again I’m sure I’ll be on here many times to come, I’ve also found my local bee association which I will join.

Hi and welcome. Haynes is fine. It will give you the basics which is all you need. The rest? Here is a good place.
Your local BKA will run winter theory courses. Ask about their training apiary. Some, like mine, still have a couple of weekends open this summer culminating in an extraction session which might be a great way to start. You could, at least, look into a full size hive and watch honey being spun.

Hi and welcome. Haynes is fine. It will give you the basics which is all you need. The rest? Here is a good place.
Your local BKA will run winter theory courses. Ask about their training apiary. Some, like mine, still have a couple of weekends open this summer culminating in an extraction session which might be a great way to start. You could, at least, look into a full size hive and watch honey being spun
Thanks very much for your reply.

Okay I’ve ordered the Haynes manual, coming tomorrow, for some insightful reading. Lots of video watching on the list and scouring the internet for a second hand beehive that I can clean up, I’ve also read 2 is best to start with, I would of thought 1 is best what’s your thoughts.

2 is best to start with, I would of thought 1 is best
You may lose a colony in winter - starvation, queen failure, varroa - but are less likely to lose both, and can split that in high summer to return to two.

If you run one and lose it, you'll be paying again or waiting for a swarm, which will be an unknown quantity in terms of disease status and colony temper.

Okay I’ve ordered the Haynes manual, coming tomorrow, for some insightful reading. Lots of video watching on the list and scouring the internet for a second hand beehive that I can clean up, I’ve also read 2 is best to start with, I would of thought 1 is best what’s your thoughts.

Be aware that many YouTube videos are made by beekeepers who aren't based in the UK and may be keeping bees in completely different environments to those in England. Not everything they do or say will apply here. There are also plenty of people perpetuating myths about bee behaviour regardless of the facts. That doesn't mean it's all junk, but don't assume everything you watch is correct or will apply to you.

I'd second the recommendation for the Haynes book. There are one or two things I disagree with, but overall it struck me as a decent introduction to beekeeping.

Two (or even three) colonies is a helpful minimum number to aim for, but the bee police will not turn up and you won't have an accident on the stairs if you only have one. Two or three gives you a few more options if something goes wrong.

I'd strongly recommend doing the beginner course at a local beekeeping association. Not because everything they'll teach you is right, because sometimes it won't be. You will meet plenty of people who you can ask for help you out if you need assistance in a hurry however, and you'll get a chance to find out what it's like to open up a hive full of bees before committing yourself to the outlay of your own hive(s). Some people love the idea of keeping bees right up to the point where they find themselves in the middle of a cloud of them and are never seen again. Not everyone finds the reality matches up to the expectation. If you can get to see what it's like this year as Dani suggests, all the better.

James

Before you spend any money go with someone when they open their hive. It just may not be for you! Hopefully someone on here may volunteer 😁

Be aware that many YouTube videos are made by beekeepers who aren't based in the UK and may be keeping bees in completely different environments to those in England. Not everything they do or say will apply here. There are also plenty of people perpetuating myths about bee behaviour regardless of the facts. That doesn't mean it's all junk, but don't assume everything you watch is correct or will apply to you.

I'd second the recommendation for the Haynes book. There are one or two things I disagree with, but overall it struck me as a decent introduction to beekeeping.

Two (or even three) colonies is a helpful minimum number to aim for, but the bee police will not turn up and you won't have an accident on the stairs if you only have one. Two or three gives you a few more options if something goes wrong.

I'd strongly recommend doing the beginner course at a local beekeeping association. Not because everything they'll teach you is right, because sometimes it won't be. You will meet plenty of people who you can ask for help you out if you need assistance in a hurry however, and you'll get a chance to find out what it's like to open up a hive full of bees before committing yourself to the outlay of your own hive(s). Some people love the idea of keeping bees right up to the point where they find themselves in the middle of a cloud of them and are never seen again. Not everyone finds the reality matches up to the expectation. If you can get to see what it's like this year as Dani suggests, all the better.

James
Some great advice thank you, I am actually scared of bees and wasps, but something keeps drawing me to it, I actually got stung by a wasp the same night I told my wife what I wanted to do, she said it was a sign not to do it, I said it was the gods giving me an initiation 😂

Hi. I started last year and now have 15 colonies.
I strongly recommend attending a BKA 6-month course. Without it, you'll be lost.
If you were given a herd of cattle, having a book about keeping cows wouldn't be enough. You need practical experience; you're local BKA will provide this, plus the accompanying support network.

I see the most niaive comments on YouTube and Facebook from people who say they've kept bees for years, yet they didn't do a BKA course and don't have a mentor. Makes me cringe.

As others have said, one colony isn't enough. Having more colonies gives you room to make mistakes and take more hits.

Be VERY careful with secondhand hive equipment bought from unknown sources. You could end up with diseases that don't respond to simple cleaning procedures. Hence destruction by burning is mandated for some. It's a minefield for beginners so I'd suggest either saving up and buying new or possibly starting with a colony already established in its own hive. Good bee auctions insist any colonies offered for sale are pre-inspected before accepting for sale entry.

James
James is being kind to some of the numpties that upload their beekeeping "contributions" to YouTube. 😧

Hi. I started last year and now have 15 colonies.
I strongly recommend attending a BKA 6-month course. Without it, you'll be lost.
If you were given a herd of cattle, having a book about keeping cows wouldn't be enough. You need practical experience; you're local BKA will provide this, plus the accompanying support network.

I see the most niaive comments on YouTube and Facebook from people who say they've kept bees for years, yet they didn't do a BKA course and don't have a mentor. Makes me cringe.

As others have said, one colony isn't enough. Having more colonies gives you room to make mistakes and take more hits.
Sounds like someone I’m mentoring 😂 he’s going to be wintering around that amount from scratch.

Wasp stings and beestings are very different. A bee sting hardly bothers me now but I got a wasp sting and it was so painful. Before you do anything, as others have said, join a local BKA and try and enrol on a spring course, patience.

Sounds like someone I’m mentoring 😂 he’s going to be wintering around that amount from scratch.
I'm being mentored by the learned folk at beekeepingforum.co.uk
Despite that, in my first winter, I achieved a 100% overwintering success rate (y)
We'll see how well I fair this year.

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother with second hand hives in most circumstances without advice from someone experienced. You can buy new for the same cost of most second hand ones offered . Pick your times carefully and make use of the sales. Seconds from the major suppliers are excellent value and are usually sound. Cedar is better than pine, poly is favored by many but I have no experience with it. Simon the beekeeper sells pine hives for little more than 100 quid but will need more regular maintenance than cedar if your budget is tight. There are sometimes good buys from people leaving the craft including colonies of bees already occupying them. More expensive perhaps but often with lots of goodwill and advice included with the sale not too mention extra kit sometimes thrown in.

Whichever route you choose good luck but be advised, it's flippin addictive!
Come back for advice and take heed when it is given & maybe you could be at the start off a lifetime journey.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back