Linux, what's that all about?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brosville

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
A subject that got raised in another thread - I'll attempt to give a simple explanation of how Linux may be just what you've always wanted.......

Linux is an "operating system", like Windows and Mac, but unlike them is completely free to use. I first tried it out some 5 or 6 years ago - at the time I had an elderly ex-corporate laptop running Windoze XP - it had reached the stage where it was so slow to start up you could wander off, have a bath, eat your breakfast and dress before it had finally condescended to be up and running - it often suffered the "blue screen of death", and it ran as if the works were filled with treacle......
I tried a Linux install, which allows a couple of ways to "try it out" safely before committing yourself - you download it, and burn a cd or dvd with it on, then reboot your machine - you then have the choice of running it off the cd for a "test run" (it makes no permanent changes) - it'll run fine, but a lot slower than if you install it by one of the other methods, but is a good way to get an idea of the "feel" of it - to really give it a go, try a "dual boot" install alongside Windoze - it's really simple, and is just a matter of clicking your way through a few screens and it'll do all the hard work for you - thereafter whenever you fire up your computer, you can choose to run either............

At first it's rather like landing in a foreign country, lots of things appear to be missing, but you soon discover that instead of "Word" there's "Libre Office", Firefox instead of Internet Explorer etc - software is free and available to install from the "software centre" with just a few clicks - I recommend Amarok to handle music, Qbittorent for torrents, Digikam for photos, Openshot for video editing - GIMP comes installed as standard (which will give the unintuitive Photoshop a run for it's money) etc.......there's over 36,000 packaged programmes available just a couple of clicks away

Why bother? - you'll find that it's absolutely rock-solid, crashes become a distant memory, because it's well written code your machine runs fast and with no worries about viruses and trojans - my old laptop which had been destined for the scrapheap suddenly became useful and fun to use again (and lasted me another 18 months) - it's a very "transparent" way of computing, it gets out of the way, and lets you get on with the job - and best of all you're not paying £85 on a new machine for the cost of the operating system to the noxious Microsoft.

Much of the internet runs on Linux as it is so intrinsically safe and stable, and if you're sick and fed up to the back teeth with Windoze, it can restore your sanity....... It tends to "just do it" - it'll sniff out wifi connections and politely ask if you'd like to connect, updates are the same - a little "tell tale" will tell you there's updates available, a couple of clicks later they're downloading and installing while you get on with your computing.
Downsides? not many, probably not the best choice if you're a hardcore gamer (they're all built for Windoze), sometimes you can get compatibility problems with some video/sound cards and printers, which are usually fairly easy to sort out with the online help forums, but apart from that there are few drawbacks, and the good things more than make up for that.
Once you're a complete convert and are happy to run it as your main operating system it can be difficult to find a suitable machine not encumbered with Windoze, such is their stranglehold on the industry, but companies like Ebuyer will sell you a barebones machine for around £200 with no operating system installed (just add screen, mouse, keyboard and speakers) - even relatively modest machines are real flyers running Linux as they are unencumbered with Windoze bloatware.
I strongly recommend Linux Mint - you can even "dip a toe in the water" by starting with a "dual boot" install that'll allow you to run it alongside your existing Windoze system (just choose which you want on boot up!) - http://linuxmint.com/ - probably best to go for "Maya"............
There's a bewildering array of different "distributions" of Linux available, I recommend Mint for it's ease of installation and user-friendliness, Ubuntu is sadly nowadays best avoided as they've lumbered it with the most annoying interface (Unity) which is enough to put you off linux and probably computing for life!

Last edited:
A subject that got raised in another thread.......

Linux is an "operating system", like Windows and Mac, your way through a few screens and it'll do all the hard work for you - thereafter whenever you fire up your computer, you can choose to run either............

At first it's rather like landing in a foreign country.......

Even I understood all that....thanks. I might give it a go too.

Frisbee

I use Linux Mint, if you can find your way around windows 7 you wont have any problems with this.

I was really impressed first time I installed on an old Samsung laptop no driver issues found all the hardware webcam, network card, sound card, graphic's, wireless adapter this was the first time I had reinstalled an OS without scratching around for driver disc's.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php/

Here's what Mint with Cinnamon looks like on my laptop, with the menu maximised

MrpZZD

I have duel boot on my laptop - ubunbto and windows xp. Windows is on for the games and linux for pretty much everything else.

The laptop originally came with vista installed and I "downgraded" to XP due to it being a bit quicker on this machine. Linux install came next but I had issues with plenty of distibutions. Found out I had to do a bios upgrade and everything works wonders now. Probably time to go back to mint again and have a looksie.

Even my microscope works on it.

Baggy

Yes................. to a point.

Then it all goes very complex and needs a lot of time and research on forums and so on.

It's like being told that beekeeping is easy peasy.... until you hit the devil in the detail........

It's great when it works but problem solving is that much harder.

I have dabbled with it for more than a few years now, and there have always been tricky issues. Just a word to the innocent.

PH

I don't deny that problems can be long-winded to fix (I had no end of fun and games following a Ubuntu upgrade), but it's certainly no worse than Windoze in that respect - once it's installed, and you've found that it works with the peripherals you can enjoy years of trouble-free computing, add the fact that it's free, and a far better operating system all round (faster, safer, more intuitive), then it's "no contest" for the odious Mr Gates' products.

Having used Linux for some 5 years, I now never cease to marvel at quite how atrocious Windoze is in comparison when I help out friends and neighbours who are having problems - I often suspect the machines of being faulty as they're so slow and clonky in comparison....
I have a friend with a very good modern Windoze machine, all she wants to do is pick up and send emails, do a bit of online shopping, write the occasional letter, and download her digital photos - Windoze bloatware makes all of those things difficult and unintuitive (I spent an hour recently trying to explain to someone on the phone how to put a url into a browser (IE) and go to a website - to no avail!) - Needless to say, the neighbour has had a play with my "Minted" laptop, which she finds much simpler to use, and I'll soon be changing her machine into a dual boot device (so her kids can still use the execrable Windoze)

Our guest computer here runs Ubuntu.

This machine is Win 7. Lappie is Vista.

Why? Some of the software we need for the business will not work on Linux.

The dongle we use for net access whilst away (and we are still managing bookings then) will not work with Linux.

So as I say it is not all plain sailing and to suggest it is is just a tad careful with the truth as I see it. And I have spent many many not so happy hours trying to find answers to what on the surface are very simple questions. As I say it's like the bees.... all very easy until it begins to get complex and life for me is too busy to faff for hours and hours for the fun of it.

PH

Our guest computer here runs Ubuntu.

And does he demand a full English breakfast?

My tip is not to update Ubuntu beyond 10.10 - it reached it's zenith at that point, and it was when I went to 11.04 and 11.10 that I had problems, and it gained the truly unusable "unity" interface - hence my use of Mint these days!

If put in the context of the money saved, and the much nicer user experience, I'd invest in a Linux friendly dongle for a tenner...... I too hate wasting time faffing, that's why I'm happy with Linux (once it's sorted, it stays sorted, and "just does it") - it's brilliant for digital photos, video editing, downloads and music, and without peer for net use (so safe and fast......)

Err yes Brossie but I note the "once"

I am not knocking just being a realist from hard experience.

PH

Raspberry Pi for desert

Unfortunately MS Windows does have the business market by the short and curlies due to interoperability problems, but looking forward they are set to outsmart themselves, by alienating their relationships with Intel and AMD and then by demonstrating that on ARM or surface platforms you do not need to run MS Classic Applications. Ergo no requirement for MS Office or indeed MS Windows.

Linux is just a toy for geeks and amateurs. Not likely to be taken too seriously by those in the know then? :)
Top 500 supercomputers

Not bad for an OS that is essentially given away free of charge. Red Hat's income is Billions per annum on the back of it and without it the Internet would be a very sad place.

HP has a valid point, but it's not because lack of trying, but having to work out the details and specifications of drivers etc. from corporations that see no profit in sharing and indeed do not wish to expose their trade secrets, although some share binaries if they can't be open. Three years ago wifi was a problem, which is now just - SORTED.

Raspberry Pi is coming . . .

I like linux but agree with PH that a non-geek is likely to hit problems and spend hours trying to resolve problems. IMO it is a good OS but not really for people who aren't a bit techy. There again, you can learn a lot playing around with it and surfing forums.

The main downside to linux for me in a work environment was (a) drivers/harware compatability and (b) some software not running. I know you can run WINE but that isn't perfect. Also, whatever anybody says, Open Office is not as good as MS Office.

A few years ago I sold my soul to the devil and for myself I use OSX with a virtual windows machine on iot for occasional "windows only" software that I sometimes run.

I don't miss linux as my mac is lovely, but I certainly like it better than windows. Incidentally Windows 8 & the new MS Office 2013 look awful.

Bees don't seem to care what OS I have on my laptop.....

I'm no geek, (just a "point and clicker") and as I've said, once it's set up, "it just does it" - most problems are "compatibility" with things like sound and video cards, and each new release tends to suffer less from such things. I had one heck of a struggle with an Nvidia video card following an ill-advised upgrade, but certainly no worse than others have had with "service pack problems" on Windoze - and the overall advantages more than make up for any problems.

Hi Brosville, Nvidia would like you to think that the problem is with Linux perhaps, but in truth they just don't play nice and make it awful difficult for Linux to sort things out.

I don't upgrade as much as I should, but tend to get a long term solution and ensure that it has all the functionality that I am likely to need before it goes out of support. Then when I start missing enough functionality that is either new or that I forgot to include, I consider upgrading to a new version. Then about two years later I actually might get round to it . . . :)

It's a bit like learning a language, it all comes with practice, but you know that Bros. From what I am reading, Windows 8 and their new Surface along with alienation of customers and long term suppliers alike will be like Vista revisited and cause a lot of damage. Someone out there is taking a big gamble I think and it could end in tears.

What about vi, find and the pipe?

replace the word Windows with Unix in vi
:g/Windows/s//Unix

Copy all files beginning with a capital letter modified today to /usr/home/temp
find ./ -name [A-Z]* -mtime 0 -exec cp {} /usr/temp \;

I used to do this sort of thing all day. Gloriously powerful stuff that takes ages under Windows. Also It uses null rather than nul

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back